original windows (1997) in recently purchased condo

A home owner from Winston-Salem, NC says:

Both windows, are they called 'sash windows?' are unable to stay open at any level. They both are 63" x 36". The first time we opened them and tilted them in this plastic connection fell out. Also the latch on one is totally worn, as is its lock. The condo is on the ground level. So we need to fix these for obvious reasons not the least security. We are on a fixed pension income. We want to avoid replacing them.

We have a handyman to repair them if we can find the parts. Thanks.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named track connection
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window latch
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named lock
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. We should definitely be able to help with this project. You may not even need a handy person to do the work for you, these parts are super easy to deal with.

Specifically, it sounds like you need a new balance, lock, and tilt latch. I'll start with the balance since that's easiest. That shoe you show looks like it's the same as what comes on our Series 775. Look it over and let me know if this is what you have now. We also have a guide on how these are installed, which you can see at the end of this post.

For the lock and tilt latch, I'll need a bit more information to help. Please tell me the distance between the installation holes for both. Make sure to measure from the center of each hole, not their edges.

A home owner from Winston-Salem, NC says:
The tilt latch distance is 2" and the lock is 2 1/8" (or maybe 2 1/4" It's actually in between)

Thanks, Caroline
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tilt latch.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named lock.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you very much, Caroline. We have two tilt latch pairs with a 2" hole spacing: see our 26-337 and 26-344. There are some other, more nuanced measurements that differentiate these two products. I recommend reviewing each one to see if you could use either as a replacement for your older style.

As for the lock, we do sell the 90-173. This has a 2-1/4" hole center spacing and looks an awful lot like the one in your photo. I would double check that hole spacing just to be sure this isn't what you need. 

A handy person from Laurel, MD says:
THANKS! This thread was PERFECT for my 1998 Condo! Perfect match!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)