pivot bar in window sash

A quick learner from Toronto Canada says:

i just received some window springs from you, but when i tried to remove the sash, the pivot bars broke. they are slightly over 3 inches long, and don't seem to see any that match. is it better to get a brake shoe and pivot bar combo if possible?

the part you have 26-238 seems closest to it but doesn't have the small ridge. but i don't think that will matter.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3373.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3374.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks for posting. I have run into your pivot bar a few times in the past, but I'm not certain if we ever got a good match. I think you might have to work with a substitute. To confirm, can you show me a picture of the pivot shoe into which this pivot bar inserts? That will allow us to come up with something that will fit in both your window and pivot shoe.

it is basically the shape of the pivot bar end in the photo with the small ridge on top. That is why i thought the 26-238 would be the closest fit. i will take a pic tonight after i get home.

Here is the pics of the shoe. Measures  

• 2-1/8 inch long
  • 1-1/4 wide
  • 9/16 thick

thanks

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 37A1F9C0-7030-49BE-BA82-99CA68042149.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D500143E-8E5F-4BB3-8977-762C1A3EC329.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6B4085F2-AFFA-4106-AA84-B83BB14C296B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4CD5EA3F-92CA-4415-BBEB-8A75BF81AC50.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We believe your pivot shoe came from Unique balance company, who has gone out of business. I would wager your pivot bar isn't made anymore. 

Fortunately, the small ridge is not critical. What's more important is the hole placement. The 26-238 you picked out is definitely worth considering, as is the 26-089. The solid or "U" shape will work for you too. Just take note of the hole placement; that will make or break this solution.

do you have the shoe or insert that would work with either pivot? otherwise i will just order the 26-238 and maybe add some holes to it.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Yes, the shoe would be our 15-140 and the coil spring that's compatible with it would be our Series 150. I am confident that the two pivot bars I mentioned will work with both this and your old shoe.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)