roller replacement for Miller Industries door need help

A handy person from St.Croix, USVI says:
I'm visiting my daughter in St.Croix. She just bought home, 50 years old with aluminum sliders (Miller Industries we think). The house has 30 or so sliders both inside (closets)and out. The rollers are all shot. Both inside and out all look the same and they had an inside unit off so I tried to take the roller out to see what I need. Pictures below. I can't figure out how to get the roller out. Pulled the whole lower rail loose. The roller appears to have a pin through the aluminum. Also need to know what part # I need.
Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191224_101158.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191224_101337.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191224_102956.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191224_101840.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191224_101844.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during the holiday season. I've never seen this kind of roller before. Theoretically you should be able to just slide it out from the end, but there's obviously something preventing that. I'm just not sure what.

I'm going to forward this to my pal Dave. He has a lot more experience than me when it comes to sliding glass doors and he may have run into this in the past. Hopefully we'll get back to you soon.

OK, Thanks.
These doors were installed in the late 70's and are gold in color. I'm not sure it means much but am attaching one other photo from inside a handle pull.
Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191230_142716.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, I just saw this. Looks to me like you have a very old Miller patio door. This older roller housing is held in place by a drive pin which you will need to "tap" out using a 1/4" punch tool. 

As for what product matches your old roller, you will probably need to use either the 81-257 (which has a 1-1/4" diameter wheel) or the 81-009 (with the 1-1/2" diameter wheel). You'll need to remove the original to confirm.

Please note that neither newer style roller have the hole to secure the wheel in place like your original. You'll need to drill a hole in the housing to match the location you have in your door. 

What you could do is, after you have determined which roller is the correct size, install it into the patio door bottom rail and mark the hole location you need to secure it in place. I'm not 100% sure, but you might also be able to reuse your existing housing and just replace the wheel itself using either the 81-266 or the 81-272 depending on the size of the wheel needed. 

Let me know what you think!

Dave,
So, I have to remove the bottom rail on each door to reach the pin and punch it out, correct? Just use a 1/4" drift pin?

I'm not clear on the following:
Please note that neither newer style roller have the hole to secure the wheel in place like your original. You'll need to drill a hole in the housing to match the location you have in your door.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,
Ok. Got it out, thanks. The wheel is 1 1/2" and about 5/16" thick. Picture below. I can knock the pin out of the wheel for replacement.

Now, if there was a way to get the wheel off without removing the bottom rail. I have to do that to get the unit out. There is an "L" for support on the aluminum next to the pin that holds the wheel in. It stops the wheel from swinging out when it hit the channel on the door. Maybe a nibbler or dremel to cut away a small chunk of the channel. Any suggestions?
Thanks and happy new year,
Dave

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191231_110151.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191231_110159.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I don't believe that will be possible. You will need to remove the bottom rail from the glass to slide out the roller assemblies. I advise against trying to cut the arm of the wheel. You need to back the adjusting screw to bring the wheel up to slide in the door frame.

I thought I received a link with a video showing the process to replace the roller assembly but cannot find it. Can I have a link for that please. Thanks,
Dave
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We have a general video on how to replace the most common type of patio glass door, but it may not apply to your project. You can view it below.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)