spiral balances

A contractor from Manhattan Beach, California says:

Replacing spiral balances on dbl hung wood sash. Opening 2'0'' x 3'0'' ( ea sash  2'0'' x 19'' x1 3/8'')

What do you suggest? Blue 22? with 17-007 bottom mounted bracket?

Need 4 ( two top sash, two bottom Sash )

Thank you, Bill

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi Bill,

I'd suggest comparing the actual spiral balance to find a good replacement on our website. Knowing the dimensions of the window are good, but they are less helpful than knowing the dimensions of your spiral balance tube. 

Take a look at our spiral balance page to see if you can determine a replacement based on the dimensions of your balance.

If you are still unsure, send us some photos of your balance and we should be able to point you in the right direction. 

Thank you!

A contractor from Manhattan Beach says:
Casey, I sent a second e-mail with more information. What I need is what length to use.

The over all opening is 24?x 36?
The upper sash is 24? x 17 1/4?x1x3/8?
The lower sash is 24? x 19? x 1 3/8?
Would the 500 series in Blue, 9/16? diameter be proper to use for the weight of the sash?
What would be the proper length of the spiral balance.

Please let me know the answers so that I may order. Thanks Bill

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The 5/8 " series 500 balance has been used on wood windows since the 1940s. For your top sash use the S500-17 and for the bottom sash use the S500-19. The blue tipped balances will work for both of your sashes.

Profile picture of Paul

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused by your information. When determining what size balance you want, you typically go by the height of the visible glass for the sash the balances will be holding. You don't want to go by the whole opening of the window. That said, I have a note from Jody here telling me that the glass of your upper sash is 14-3/4" tall and the glass of the bottom sash is 15" tall.  With that information in mind, I'd recommend our S500-17 for the top sash and the S500-19 for the bottom sash. The Blue Tip color option should work fine.

A quick learner says:
Paul, thanks so much your customer service is the best! They take the time to help, cudo?s to all. Bill
Profile picture of Paul

You're very welcome. If you need anything else at all, let us know.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)