Looking for replacement spiral balances and tensioning tools

A handy person from Downingtown, PA says:
Attached are photos of my spiral balances: one showing complete and the other broken. I'm looking for rpelacements for what is brokern and a tensioning tool to adjust the rest. Any help is appreciated.
User submitted photo of window balance pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for submitting images. I have a few questions to get started...
  • What type of window do you have (tilt or non-tilt)?
  • Do you know the brand name of your window?
  • What is the diameter of the metal tube of your spiral balance?
  • What is the length of the metal tube of your spiral balance? (see how to measure below)
Image displaying how to measure the spiral balance length.
A handy person from Downingtown, PA says:
Single-hung tilts. Don't know the mfr. The distributor the builder got them from ten years ago is out of business. We've only owned the house since December.

The spirals are 1/4" wide. The tubes are inside of a vinyl shell so without taking one apart I don't know the exact lenght but about 32-34" long based on the extension of the spiral itself. The tube itself looks to be about 1/2" - 5/8" but I can't get to it. There's an orange vinyl-looking insert that the spiral slides inside of in the tube.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The orange insert is probably the tip of the balance. In the business orange is the same as a red tipped balance. The different colors refer to the various strengths of internal spring.

A lot of homeowners find their balances to have a round vinyl covering. This round vinyl covering is actually the balance itself. Our balances have metal coverings for strength. So measure the the round vinyl covering. Let me know the diameter and the length of just the cover (do not include the color tipped).

Send us pictures if you want to confirm that this vinyl covering is indeed part of the balance and if the orange insert is the tip.
A handy person from Downingtown, PA says:
see attached
User submitted photo of spiral balance in window.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The pivot shoe looks similar to our 15-046 Pivot Shoe . The charging tool would be the 75-006 Charging Tool . You may also need a jamb spreader, like the Swisco 75-069 Jamb Spreaders , in order to remove the broken shoes.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.