Window springs with shoe at the bottom

A handy person from Phoenix AZ says:
My windows do not stay up. I am looking for replacement springs.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3633.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3634.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3635.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3636.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. This looks like a spiral balance. We should be able to set you up with the correct replacement, but I'd like to see the balance out of the window, with a picture of whatever attachment is at the bottom of the spiral rod. The length and diameter of the outer tube would also be helpful. We may have more questions from there, depending on the nature of the balance. Many thanks.

Length of tube. 30 3/8 including black tube. 26 3/4 without black tube. Diameter 3/8
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A31D0E57-B7E3-429F-81FF-41A542F0AC00.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 436AEF78-2CCC-4E9B-80B4-C559CB3B0E16.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6C0A9B38-6EFA-4B95-B271-657CD685B4AB.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C4069339-DA01-425C-A47C-9646F26105B2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F5DEE246-D9B4-4FBD-8749-FCAEF7B37519.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! This is a huge help. We can absolutely replace this balance, though it will have to be a special order due to the design of that clip at the end of the rod. I do indeed have a few more questions before we can get started.

First, you mention that the balance tube is 30-3/8" with the black tube and 26-3/4" with. I assume you mean that black cover piece I see in your fourth photo. Would it be possible for you to remove the balance from the window entirely and measure it then? That black piece is not part of the balance and is almost certainly skewing your length measurement. The fact that it's masking a difference of 4" is no good. We'll need a more precise measurement of the balance tube by itself.

The nylon bearing at the bottom end of the tube is also an issue. This is something we call a "tip," and the color indicates the strength calibration of your spring. Yours is just too faded for us to make out, though, so we'll need another way to figure out how strong your spring should be. I'll need you to weigh your sash. Any common bathroom scale should do. When weighing the sash, please be as precise as possible. We'd like it down to the ounce. Thanks!

Sorry it has taken so long to get back with you. Trying to get my husband to do things is like pulling teeth ?. Weight 23.4
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 403ADD13-D8B9-4A71-92F4-FC982FFF1858.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16C3F75C-B9F5-45F7-BA0A-C027E4A7E106.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7CFE0DC2-F14E-462F-9C3C-D738F4F52A95.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 49BD96ED-729E-43D0-B456-0CB715FE38AB.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This is perfect, thank you so much! Looks like you need an S900-29 spiral balance, which has a 30" long internal spiral rod. You'll also need a 15-073 shoe attached to the end. Based on your sash weight, we'll set this up with a Green Tip color option, too. That should be sufficient for your sash weight.

I'm not sure how many you need, so I'll email you an order link and price quote right now for 2, which is our minimum. If you need more, please let me know right here in this thread and I'd be happy to adjust that number for you.

Oh, and one last thing. You may want a charging tool like our 75-005. It will make installation a lot easier.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)