vinyl trim for wood crank-type windows

A landlord from Laguna Niguel, CA. says:
Hi, we have a house built around 1995 and it has wooden windows that crank outwards. They had been basically painted shut from the outside. Workers used knifes to remove the paint and in the process destroyed the gasketing material.

It's white, it has a 1/4" arrow shaped piece that fits into a small slot in the edge of the window. It's oriented so that a flexible V-shaped piece about a half-inch wide slides into the gap when the window is closed. I've included some pictures, but the piece I had was brittle and broke at the base of the V shape.

I don't mind if it's a "V" or a "bubble" or other shape, but the slot in the wood is quite narrow and thin, not like those I've found so far. The gap between the edge of the window and the frame is quite large, maybe 3/16".

I hope you can help or steer me in the right direction, we have about a dozen large windows and they are leaking when the wind blows the rain their way....

Thanks in advance,
User submitted photos of weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Seems like you have a type of leaf weatherstripping. I have wood casement windows at home, which use a bubble type. Personally, I like the bubble type a little better than the leaf. It seems to stay "flexible" longer and doesn't get brittle like the leaf type.

Either way, take a look at our 55-183 leaf type and 58-053 and the 58-055 bubbleseals. The 58-055 may be best, since it's offset. Check it out and see what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)