weatherstripping for a drafty attic door

A home owner from Dallas, TX, asking for my son in Palmyra, NJ says:
Have two internal applications for some form of weatherstripping - both are walk-in attic access openings that were never properly-sealed, leaving gaps around the doors that allow hot air to escape the attic into the living quarters. The attached pictures will show both openings and their doors (forgive the temporary attempts at sealing the gaps...:-)), so I'm looking for a method of sealing both a "normal 6'8" X 3' door, and an aluminum bi-fold door to eliminate the air leakage.

Gaps are as large as 3/4" in a few places, and many of your "bubble" products are ones that I could envision as workable unless there are specific solutions to my two problems. You also have "fabric" solutions that look interesting, but I'm not sure how rigid they are to control the escaping air.

On the bi-fold door, I'd envision (with your products) the bubble material along the two vertical sides of the frame so that when closed the doors would compress the bubble and make the seal. I'd also think about installing either the bubble or the fabric seal along the top edge, and allow the bi-fold partitions to travel just against the material - same thought for the bottom.

On the regular door, I'm hoping you have an appropriate weatherstripping for the top and edges that would compress when the door is closed - the bottom could be address by the bubble, or fabric, or maybe even a threshold kit.

Any thoughts? Feel free to contact me at (400) 469-3834 or the email above. Thanks for listening and I hope to hear from you soon!

Lou Hart
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bennett's Bedroom Door.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bennett's Gameroom Door.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Lou! Thanks for your patience during this busy summer. I think we can definitely help with this project, though I love the snakes. It's a shame you can't keep using them!

Start by looking at our 58-169, which has a nail on flange. This flange makes it an extremely versatile seal; it can adjust this to wherever it needs to go for the best possible seal and then you just nail it in place. We also have the 58-180, which works under a similar philosophy but has an adhesive backing instead. This is definitely worth considering.

As for the bottom, can you tell me the thickness of the door? That will help us determine if we have something that will work. Thanks!

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.