window flash balance?

A home owner from Lomita, CA says:
I need to replace the things on the side of my windows that hold them in? And allow them to slide up and down. I think they are called flash balances? (but I am not really sure) The one I have has the #'s 2490 then an MG then 30. It is metal with a white thing on the top that looks like it has wings that stick out the back and a black thing on the bottom with smaller wings that come out of each side. Hopefully the pictures do a better job then I do!
Thanks
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I actually think you have it backwards--the white plastic piece is the bottom shoe, while the black plastic piece is the top. Before I can offer an applicable replacement for this channel balance, though, I just need to know a bit more information about the bottom attachment.

Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment? Just by eyeballing it, I think it might be our 15-004, but I would like you to double check just to make sure.

I will also need you to confirm the length of the metal channel. Based on the stamp, I think it should be 25", but again, I'd like you to double check.

Finally, I'll need you to weigh your window sash. This is the window panel that actually moves up and down. in the frame. Please remove the sash from the window and place it on a scale, then let me know the weight.
A quick learner says:
Okay Tom,

Here it is: the window weighs 30lbs. it's a heavy sucker! The channel balance shoe is 1-3/32" deep you are correct and it is 25" long.

I also have windows that don't weigh quite as much that need replacements too. I am gathering from our conversation that they are all different? (because I assumed they were all the same)

Thanks for helping me figure this out! I am beginning to feel a little more knowledgeable on this subject!

Jen
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That's correct; if your window sashes all have different weights, then you will need to choose a different option for each one. However, if all their attachments are identical to those in your pictures, I think you should consider our S385-25 channel balance. This Series' configuration appears to be the closest match to your own hardware.

Now, for this particular balance, I'm afraid that we don't have any standard options that can support a window sash weight of 30 pounds. I'll have to make you a custom balance with the stamp of 2465, which can carry 30 through 33 pounds.

To begin, please take a look at this Custom Channel Balance Order Form that I have started for you and fill out the Shipping and Contact information. One of our representatives will be in contact with you shortly thereafter.

If you need any help determining the appropriate options for your other balance, let me know!

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.