Certaintieed window

A quick learner from Michigan says:
Coil spring broken- need replacement. SA 407 is stamped on coil.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0200.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0199.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. See our Certainteed 15-192 as well as the S170-407 7 pound spring. This seems to match what you have. Take a look and let me know if you have further questions. 

Do I also need a 15-156 spring cover and 15-157 balance drum or do those come as part of the balance spring?

Thanks for your quick reply!!
Profile picture of Bob

Sorry, I should have mentioned--the 15-156 and 15-157 are sold separately. Note that if your old cover and drum are undamaged, you could reuse them. Let me know if you have further questions! 

Hi There-
As I was trying to replace these coils, I was having a hard time getting them to fit, and then realized that the pivot shoes are different from my orignials. I have attached photos to show. Those little extra side pieces don't allow them to fit flush and so I can't move them up and down. Do you have a different style that is compatible with my originals? Thanks for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0216.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0218.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Ah, I'm sorry for not noticing that before. It appears that you have an older version of this pivot shoe. For whatever reason, the manufacturer updated the design of this shoe so that it had alignment lugs on the front face, presumably to work in their newer windows. The bad news is that the older version isn't made anymore at all; they only sell this newer model.

The good news is that our 15-192 can still work, but it does require cutting or shaving those alignment lugs down. That will give the shoe clearance to fit in the channel. I've done it myself and find that it works well.

Just note that any product altered in this way cannot be returned for a refund. You can see more information regarding our return policy here.

What works best to shave those down?
Profile picture of Bob

I personally use a utility knife to cut them off and shave it flat. Just make sure if you do that to wear a pair of work gloves, just in case. I can't tell you how many times I've nicked my thumb doing work like that, so better safe than sorry. 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.