Longer "Heel to Toe?"

A handy person from Seattle Washington says:

Hello!

I purchased the S385 above and I am having issues with the window "catching" the 'heel-to-toe' of the channel balance. My window is a bit wonky but I am wondering if there is an identical channel balance but with an even longer 'heel-to-toe' measurement that would help with supporting the window.

I attached a photo but it is difficult to see what is going on.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Grant

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0438 (1).JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Grant. There is only one shoe in our inventory that has more depth than the 15-004 that comes with the balance you purchased, and that's our 15-003; this is a wingless bottom fitting with a "heel to toe" measurement of 1-3/16".

That said, this is a fairly specific shoe and only intended to work in very specific applications. We can also only supply balances with a 15-003 shoe as a custom order, since it's not a standard configuration.

Before we pursue that, can you verify what the depth of your original balance fitting was? If your shoe is too deep, you risk permanently damaging the vinyl lining of the window. I want to make sure we avoid that at all costs, since going up from 1-3/32" to 1-3/16" is a pretty big jump.

Can you also clarify what you mean when you say the window is catching the shoe? When a balance shoe isn't deep enough, the sash will tend to shift from side to side during operation. Would that be an accurate description of the issue you're experiencing?

Attached are two photos. One is the existing channel balance part information that I tried provided and someone from SWISCO helped me match to purchase the S385 15-004.

The second photo is the heel to toe measurement which looks to be 1 1/8" wouldn't you say?

Apologies, yes my explanation was not that good. When I installed the new channel balances, as I went to lower the window sash, one side would catch the channel balance shoe but then on the other side the window sash would lower without bringing the channel balance with it.

I hope that makes more sense?

Grant
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel balance heel to toe measurement.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel balance ID.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That does appear to be about 1-1/8", yes, but the problem is that they don't make a winged shoe in that size. In your case, 1" and 1-3/32" are the standard options.

We do sell the 15-001, which is 1-1/8", but it lacks those wings, which help keep the balance aligned in the track (if needed).

I suppose you could go with the Series 395 channel balance. This has a 19-005 top and 15-001 bottom, but considering your old shoe has wings I'm hesitant to recommend that. Like I said before, if the shoe ends up being too deep then what will happen is they'll dig into the vinyl channel as you open and close the window, causing irreparable damage.

As for the problem you're describing, the fact that the balance isn't being lowered with the sash when you close it is definitely a problem, but that doesn't have anything to do with the shoe. The only function the bottom shoe does is keep the balance stable; it does not interact with or catch on the sash in any way. 

It almost sounds like the top sash guide might be broken. These are located in the top two corners of the sash and they're what keeps the balance in the sash during operation. You may want to check to ensure yours are still in good condition; when the top sash guide breaks, there's nothing to hold the balance to the sash.

Okay, thank you for the information. Really helpful! I will look at this ASAP.

Say the sash guides are missing/broken. Can these be purchased through your website?

Thank you.

Grant
Profile picture of Tom

Absolutely! We carry a huge selection of top sash guides. If that ends up being the case, then seeing an undamaged version removed from the window would allow me to find a good match; the balance you have is compatible with about a dozen different kinds, so a photo reference will be needed. The best picture to take would be like a mug shot: one of the front, and another of the side.

We have a video on this topic that you may also find helpful. This explains the issue I described above in a little more detail. Give it a look to see if it's familiar. You can also see our full selection of top sash guides here.

You're good! one of the top guide sashes was broken!

Attached are some photos. One is the broken one and then the others are of the good one with dimensions. With them do you think you can provide which one to purchase? thank you!

Grant
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0569.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0573.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0572.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0571.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0570.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Grant! I suspected this might be the problem after your last batch of photos. I'm glad that we're on the right track.

So, I believe I do recognize this top sash guide. I have good news and bad news: the bad news is that you have an old Milgard brand guide that is no longer made and not possible for us to supply anymore. The good news is that we have another part that works just as well, with some modification.

See our 18-009. In my experience this is nearly identical to the original Milgard part except for the fact that it has that top edge that hangs over the rest of its body. I've used a utility knife in the past to trim that edge down to give it clearance to fit in the sash, after which it performs its job admirably.

Your next step should be to examine the dimensions we show for this guide to verify that they all line up (ignoring the top edge, of course, which you'll be cutting off). I think they should, but it's possible my eyes are failing me and you have something different. If that's the case let me know and we can look into other options.

Also be sure to wear safety gloves if you decide to go this route! I can't tell you how many times I've cut my thumb doing a trick like this, so better safe than sorry (even if you aren't as clumsy as me). Lastly, please note that any products altered in this way won't be returnable for a refund. You can see more on our return policy here.

Detail of 18-009
Detail of 18-009

Side view of 18-009
Side view of 18-009

Great, just ordered two! It looks to be the correct one, fingers crossed.

Thank you so so much for the assistance. You have fantastic customer service and you have been very helpful.

Grant
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome, Grant. I'm happy you found this service helpful, and we really appreciate the order. Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions. We're always here to help!

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.