Spiral Tilt Window Balance

A quick learner from Milboro, Virginia says:
I ordered replacement parts (S600-30). They came and are just a little bigger around than the original part they work but my decorative plastic does not fit on the new part; tool.works great. I have attached a picture of the original part. Did I order the wrong part or are the replacement parts just bigger? I have a number of windows I need to fix at my mother-in-law's house.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1699104082482525700677198667032.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. The Series 600 has an outer tube that is 5/8" in diameter. Now judging from your pictures, your old spiral balances have an outer tube that is less than 1/2" in diameter, closer to 3/8". If so, then you'd need the S900-30 instead. Please compare, and let me know if you have further questions. Also, view our Return Policy here

A quick learner from Milboro, Virginia says:
Bob - I was able to order the 900 series and they work great. I have discovered some of the guides "sure that is not the correct term for the part" are bad. I need to know which part to order and how to remove the old part and install the new part. It is not obvious to me as I look at the window. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 45ED4428-A8C8-49F2-898E-6AD59B1971D3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F1A3A248-368C-4708-9D4D-E2E50313FB91.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello again, Jeff! I'm glad to hear our Series 900 worked out for you.

The part you're looking for here is called the pivot shoe. These effectively connect the balance to the sash, while doubling as a kind of hinge mechanism to allow the sash to tilt in for removal and cleaning. Just eyeballing your photos I think you have our 15-045. This seems to match your style pretty closely and is very commonly paired with the Series 900 balance.

I suggest reviewing our dimensions before you buy anything just to be safe. Note that overall height isn't all that important, but width and thickness are paramount. Another important dimension not listed in the below diagram is the size of the cam hole. For this product, that would be 1/4" wide x 3/16" tall. As long as these dimensions match then I am confident it will replace your original.

Lastly, you mentioned advice for installation. I'll share a couple videos that you may find helpful to this end.

Dimensions for 15-045
Dimensions for 15-045

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.