48x40 double hung window springs. Mi

Home Owner from Hanover Township Pa. 18706
Apr 30, 2024 8:14 pm
Looking for 2 balance springs that look like the picture.
IMG_3065
1 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
May 2, 2024 11:26 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hey there,

thanks for writing in! There is a good chance we can supply you with the replacement coil balance assembly needed for your repairs. Although, I will need to see a photo of the entire assembly removed from the window.

I'll need to see an unobstructed view of the shoe and you'll also need to remove the coils to look for any stamps/markings that will indicated the spring needed to complete the assembly.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

May 3, 2024 8:27 pm
First of all thanks for replying. Here's some additional info that maybe helpful. Lower window sash weighs 15lbs and is 45 1/2" x19". The coil spring is 1/2" wide and 16"-18"long, maybe a little longer. Also I'm sending 2 pics of springs and shoe.
IMG_3097 IMG_3098
2 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 6, 2024 9:46 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello! Jasmine isn't here today but I'll do my best to assist you.

Right off the bat, I can tell you that your balance assembly is a discontinued and obsolete style. You're probably not going to have an easy time finding this anywhere, and nothing in our inventory is an exact match.

However, that said the design is very similar to a few modern components we have in stock. See our 15-180 shoe, Series 190 spring, 15-181 double spring support, and 15-182 bushing. I think these components put together would approximate your old assembly, but you're going to have to look over the information and dimensions we show for each product to verify. That should be your next step.

Let me know if you had any questions about these parts and I'd be happy to answer.

May 6, 2024 12:34 pm
What is the difference between the740 S190 coil and the540 S190 coil? Maybe I can replace the coils and use my parts. Thanks for your help.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 6, 2024 12:52 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

The S190-740 carries 7 pounds per spring, whereas the S190-540 carries 5 pounds per spring. If your sash is only 15 pounds, I'd suggest using the 4 pound S190-440 on each side. That will give you 16 pounds of total support, which should be perfectly sufficient.

May 21, 2024 8:02 pm
Jasmine, I received the coil springs. Kudos to you and your team of experts, the window has never worked better. You guys have made my mom very happy. Thanks again, Rick. PS any other window issues you will be the first company I contact.
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
May 22, 2024 10:30 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the kind feedback! I’m glad to hear the window is back in working condition. Please do not hesitate to reach out, we’ll be happy to assist with any future projects.

Have a great weekend!

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts