81-289 but with protruding piece in different position

A handy person from Florida says:

The exact size of the of the old roller is shown on the first picture. As you can see by the last 2 pictures, the 81-289 and the old roller is not the same size and the protruding tab is not in the same place.

Please let me know the right part number to replace my old rollers and how to return the incorrect ones for correct new ones.

Also, these rollers did not include a mounting screw, just a hole that would need to be tapped to fit a screw. If the new correct roller is the same, what size tap and screws do I need (1/4-20?).

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0507.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0508.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0509.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey, thanks for posting. I see what you mean. Your roller does have some subtle differences.  

Take a look at our 81-057. It appears to have the same shape at the front of the housing as the one from your door. Compare it to your roller and see it that locking tab matches up to the same location that you need. It's also 13/16" from the top of the housing, but the housing is also taller at 1-3/8" so it has a proportionally higher set. This also matches the height of your old roller housing.

As for the screw, I'm actually not sure off the top of my head. Please give me a little more time as I look into that and I'll get back to you ASAP.

A handy person from Florida says:
Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I also saw the 81-057 roller and it looks like it should work. The key dimension is the distance from the locking tab to the top of the housing, but that isn't shown on the diagram. However, since the 1-3/8" total dimension and the 13/32" dimensions are the same, it should be OK.

The adjusting screw on the 81-289 I have is a 1/4-20 thread, but as you can see from the picture attached, that is larger than the hole for a mounting screw. I assume the 81-057 would have a similar hole. If a 1/4-20 tap won't work, I'll have drill it out a little larger before tapping. All this is a lot of work, however. I'm curious why the hole for the mounting screw isn't tapped for a common thread like 1/4-20.

Lastly, will I be able to return the two incorrect 81-289 rollers for credit toward the new 81-057 ones? And how do I go about this?

Thanks for your help

Mark
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roller #81-289.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

The adjustment screw at the top of the housing is a machine screw #10-28 x 5/8" long. The frame screw hole at the bottom should take a #8 sheet metal screw, possibly 1" long like the 33-017 screw depending on how long you need it to be. 

I also took the measurement of the front flair. It is 15/16" wide. Make sure the flair at the front of your roller is the same width.

Finally, you can absolutely return your rollers for a refund. See our return policy here. You can place your order for the new rollers at your convenience.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.