84-001 Roller or 84-031 Roller?

Handy Person from New Jersey
Jun 8, 2011 7:37 am
Should I purchase the 84-001 Spring Tension Screen Door Roller, 15/16" plastic wheel or the 84-031 Spring Tension Screen Door Roller, 1" Steel BB Wheel. The existing patio screen rollers, all of which will be replaced, have 1" x 1/4" OD plastic wheels and the spring steel is 11/32" wide. The picture below is of one of the existing rollers which is marked 41. (It was bent some during removal.)

Many thanks, Joe
User submitted photo of spring tension roller
3 Replies
Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Jun 8, 2011 1:46 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT
I have replaced nylon rollers with the steel in the past. We are only talking a few "32"'s of an inch. Make sure you have a little play in the width in the patio screen rail. The cut out where the roller fits into. I actually laid both wheels next to each other and you can barely notice the difference.
Quick Learner from New Jersey
Jun 8, 2011 5:36 pm
Thanks Dave. Do you recommend the steel wheeled roller over the plastic where the OE was plastic? Both rollers will fit in the the patio screen rail. (The track the roller will travel on is slightly less then 2/32" thick.)
Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Jun 9, 2011 11:28 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Personally, I would use the steel roller (unless you're near the ocean).
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts