Aluminum Windows that don't stay up

Home Owner from Pennsylvania
Jun 1, 2018 1:55 pm
I am in the process of selling my parents' home and I need to get some windows to stay up in order to obtain a certificate of occupancy. The home was built in the early 70's and I am attaching five pictures showing the lock on the window, the channel balance area, the overall window and the window shoe. Do you think you might have the parts for these windows. I do not have any other information on the manufacturer. I was hoping that the "lock" that is located on the bottom of the window--one on each side--would be helpful. Thank you.
3 Replies
Paul from SWISCO
Jun 6, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks for posting! This is an old discontinued Crossly brand window. I don't think the hardware you need is made anymore, but we may have more modern replacements you can use. Did you only just need a lock and balance? If so, can you remove the lock in your first picture and show me a clear shot of the end profile? You can see our entire selection here to get an idea of what information we need.

As for the balance, I would like you to remove an undamaged version from the window and show us a clear picture of the top nylon attachment and a clear picture of the bottom nylon attachment. I'd also like a picture of the stamp. Finally, let me know how many you need. I have a hunch of what these might be, but your pictures will confirm.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Home Owner from Pennsylvania
Jun 6, 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, Paul. I'm enclosing pictures of the top and bottom of the balance. My guess is that I need S700 series. I would need two 23" and four 19" balances. The 23 inch has 2220 stamped on it, so I'm assuming that is the weight I would order.  There is no stamp on the 19 inch--but I guess I would order 1820. 

I watched the video and I cannot find any take-out clips on the windows but there are holes there. Do I need them in order to get the balance to stay in the window sash. If that is the case, I would need six for the three windows. 

I also included a few pictures of the latch but they are not that great. I could not get it out of the window and didn't want to mess with it too much. I have a front view and a side view. I'm guessing it's either a 90-034, 90-293 or 90-182. I would need two in white. Can you please give me your recommendations and I will order on your website. Thank you for all your help.

Paul from SWISCO
Jun 13, 2018 9:54 am

Hello again! We will do our best to help.

I agree, our S700-23 and S700-19 look like they will match quite well, based on your pictures. If there is no stamp on the 19" balance, you can always weigh your sash and refer to the weight chart on its store page.

I'm afraid there isn't a take out clip for this Crossly window, at least not as far as I remember. At the very top of the window track, you should see a punch out lip in the track to catch the nipple of the balance top (19-001). With the sash removed, you would hook the clip on the balance cord in the hole in the center of the window and lock the balance top under the punch out. Hopefully that makes sense! 

We did carry that lock at one time, but I'm afraid it was discontinued and is no longer available. I'm afraid we will not be able to provide a replacement at this time.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts