Balance Springs

Quick Learner from Florida
May 3, 2024 11:34 am
I am looking for a bit of help on identifying the correct parts I need for a window project. I have 4 different sized types of windows.

Question 1 - I have included a few pictures and would like to confirm if the correct style for these balance springs should be model 15-004?

Question 2 - I have four different sizes - 23 3 / 29 9 / 33 5 / 33 9 I assume the first number should be the length, but when I measure the physical length of the metal it appears to be an inch longer, IE: 23 3 is 24 inches, etc.

Question 3 - I assume the second number is the spring weight?

Thanks, Scott

IMG_5516 IMG_5517 IMG_5518 IMG_5519
4 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 3, 2024 3:47 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hey Scott. Good questions. I'll take each one at a time: 

• The shoe on your balances is either the 15-004 or 15-005. The difference lies in their depth, or the measurement from 'heel-to-toe'. See the diagram below for reference. Long story short, if it's greater than 1", then the shoe is the 15-004, and therefore you'd need Series 385 Channel Balances. If it's 1", you'll need the Series 380.
    Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
    Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
  • The first two digits on the stamp codes actually refer to the height of visible glass in the window sash. The metal channel length is usually 1" longer than this. Hence why a balance stamped 33-5, for instance, is 34" long. 
  • The third (or sometimes, third and fourth) digit is indeed the stamp code. So, for a balance stamped 33-5, you'd choose our stamp option of 3350 for a replacement balance. These are equivalent. 

You also have balances stamped 33-9. You will note that we don't have any stamps that end with a -9 or -90. This is because these designations are from a rating system no longer in use. To know what stamp option to select in this case, weigh the window sash the balances support. You can then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each stamp option under the product description of either the S380-34 or S385-34 shop page. 

Let me know if that all makes sense, or if you have any other questions! 

Quick Learner from Florida
May 3, 2024 5:03 pm
Perfectly explained and very understandable. I was moving down the correct path, but hesitant to pull the trigger on a large order and get it wrong!

I would have messed up the 33 stamp and 34" inch metal frame part for sure, so that is hugely important!

I work on pulling the "9" windows and getting them weighed!

Thanks for all of your help! Scott
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 3, 2024 7:07 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Glad to help, Scott. Let us know how you make out, or if you need anything else. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts