BiFold Pin Cap

A quick learner from IL says:
I recently purchased a rebuild kit for ~1980s mirrored closet doors.

I cannot get the pins to stay in the pin caps as the pins pull out when opening/closing the doors. I reversed the spring tension on the doors(top: push up vs pull down to engage pin) and the pins still will not seat in the cap. I had assumed this was a press fit, but am I missing a part?

Thanks for your help

(prior order for reference: 1785211)
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Does your pin look like the pin in our 21-058? They are hard to snap the pin head in the nylon guide, but when you do it, it should stay locked. Maybe the track is rough and is causing the pin and guide to be dragged and unlocked. Try spraying the track with a silicone spray to see if that helps.

Thanks for feedback

I had purchased Part 21-050 as replacements to rebuild the guides(which appears to be the same a 21-058 with the exception of additional bushing and pushnut). The pins are snapping into place, but the aluminum guide bar is rough as you stated(has gouges/intents) that the guide is getting caught on.

Can you direct me to replacement guides that these pin caps(21-108) will fit into?(I am hesitant to attempt to mechanically smooth the guides)

Also, which direction should the be pin be installed? e.g. TOP: Pull the pin down to engage the pin cap OR Push the pin up to engage the pin cap?
Profile picture of Paul

For guide pins that are compatible with the 21-108, see the 21-049, 21-050 and 21-058

Take note of the little "T" shaped nub at the top of these pins. This part of the pin would be pushed into the pin cap. Let me know if this makes sense or if you had any other questions. 

Thank you.

I did not accurately explain my question/request:

1) I am looking for a replacement track that the PinCap travels in. Can you advise on a replacement part(I am hesitant to mechanically polish the one that is installed)

2) When engaging the pins into the pin cap, do you typically push the pin against spring force until aligned with the pin cap, or pull the pin against the spring force until aligned with the cap?

Thank you
Profile picture of Paul

For question #1: The track for this type of Leigh door is no longer available. 

However, some people have used the 21-401, 21-402, 21-403 and 21-404 with the 21-002 threaded bottom pivot pin and the other three with 21-007 spring loaded pins. You might need some of the 21-150 or 21-151 nylinders in the door holes for the pins to fit snuggly. You will also need the 21-277 rubber bumpers to help keep the doors closed.

For question #2: You would pull on the pin against the spring to clear the track. Then align the tip of the pin to the nylon cap, 21-108, and push the pin against it to lock the pin to the cap.

Thank you for all your help!!
How to install bi-fold closet door pins
How to install bi-fold closet door pins
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install Bi-Fold Closet Door Pins
How to Install Bi-Fold Closet Door Pins
VIDEO
WATCH >
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.