Block & Tacle Rod Balancers

Quick Learner from Statham, GA
May 7, 2024 1:38 pm
I need replacement balances for 16 windows. All are broken and pieces missing. These are for 6'0", 5'0" and 4'0" tilt-in vinyl windows. They were installed with vinyl siding in 1999. If we replaced all the windows, we would have to install new siding as well.
balancer bottom of spring balancer top balancer bottom balancer bottom of spring
4 user uploaded images
9 Replies
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
May 8, 2024 11:18 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for reaching out to us! The balances you have are an old, discontinued Series 860 Arrow Balance. Since yours appear to have a wedge attached to the bottom of them, they can very likely be replaced with our Series 775 Channel Balance.

That said, to confirm the replacements for each of the different sized windows, I'll need to know the exact length of the balance, not including the wedge, for each of them. The length will need to be obtained from undamaged balances; you won't be able to get an accurate measurement from the damaged balances. If you do not have an undamaged balance, I'll need to know the measurement for the height of the visible glass, only the glass you can see in the sash.

I will also need to know the exact weight of each of the sashes to determine the weight range your balances will need to be able to hold to support its weight.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

May 9, 2024 10:24 am
There are no complete balancers out of 16 windows. I don't even have enough pieces to complete one.
Here are the measurements that you asked for:
Glass exposure=26 3/8 inches and 20#
26 3/8 inches and 18.2#
2- 1/4 inches and 15.2#
Thank you for your help!
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
May 9, 2024 11:11 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for confirming this information. Although, it appears you may have missed a digit for the glass height on the 15.2lb sash. Was the measurement for this 26-1/4"?

May 9, 2024 11:44 am
you're right, it should be 20 1/4
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
May 10, 2024 12:48 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for confirming this information. I've submitted this to our senior experts for review. They'll review the information to confirm exactly which Series 775 Balances you'll need for your replacement.

In the meantime, it would be a good idea to remove the existing wedge so that you can confirm the measurement for the width; it should be either 1" or 1-1/4" across the bottom.

May 10, 2024 4:46 pm
The sashes measure 1 1/4 inches thick, but the channel where the balancer would be is about an inch. The opening into the channel is only 3/4 inches.
window sash measure 2 window sash measure
2 user uploaded images
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
May 13, 2024 2:36 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

For the sash measuring 26-3/8", you'll need the S755-22 with a 28C stamp option and for the 20-1/4" sash, you'll need the S775-22 with a 22B stamp option.

The measurement I am requesting is for the wedge attached to the balance assembly. Unfortunately, the thickness of the sash cannot give us this information. Please see the photo below for reference.

If it is 1" you'll need to select the stamp options with the 1" shoe; if it is 1-1/4", you'll need to select the option with the 1-1/4" shoe.

Close up view of the bottom of the Series 775 sash support balance.
Close up view of the bottom of the Series 775 sash support balance.

May 13, 2024 3:26 pm
Thank you, I will order them this evening. I took out the shoe and it measures 1 1/4". Thank you for your help!
Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO
May 13, 2024 4:08 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

I'm happy to help! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with any other hardware repair questions you might have.

Have a great day!

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts