Balance Replacement for Sash

A home owner from Norwood, MA says:

Folks-

I have a few double hung sash (upper and lower are identical) windows which have defective "coil balances" that have snapped\broke over the years. Attached please see a few pics of the coil, along with the width and depth of the jamb. The sash weighs 21 pounds. Is it possible to upgrade with a Channel balance which includes both the balance and the shoe? Please make a recommendation. I'll purchase for one sash and if successful, will upgrade additional windows. The window glass height is approximately 28.375 inches.

Appreciate it,

Bob 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil balance found at top of jamb.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil balance found at bottom of jamb.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named jamb depth five eighths.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named jamb width three fourths.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window glass height 28 and three eights.JPG
Folks-

This is Bob Hansen again. I made a mistake measuring the jamb width previously. There is a lip on both sides of the jamb which you must include for the dimensions inside. Total width looks like approx 1.5 inches. Please check the pic added here.

Thank you,
Bob H.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named jamb width is approx an inch and a half.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! I don't believe you can use a channel balance to replace a coil balance. I've heard of some people using spiral balances, but even those turn into a bit of a project. We usually recommend sticking with what you have to be safe. 

I can say that neither a channel or spiral balance would last longer than a coil balance; a balance's longevity depends on its calibration. A balance properly calibrated to the weight of the sash can last anywhere from 5-10 years, depending on how often it's used. This is the case for any type.

If you really do want to go with a different kind of balance, let me know and we can try to determine what might be used on this window.

Hi Tom-
OK, if I stay with a coil balance, do you folks sell them? If not , any idea where I could purchase them?
If not, what is your best recommendation for fixing my sash based on the pics I've sent and what you sell at your store?

Thanks,
Bob H.
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, we offer a ton of different coil balances. I am confident we can get you exactly what you have now, or at least the most modern replacement option for it. Can you show me a clear photo of the pivot shoe? I cannot make it out in your original batch of pictures. Seeing it out of the window will be a huge help. Pivot shoes act as a sort of "key" that allow us to determine everything else you need for the balance setup.

A home owner from Norwood, Ma 02062 says:
Hi Tom -

I took the shoe and coil balance out of the jamb. These are approximately 25 years old so I presume you can suggest a more modern replacement. Please take a look at the pic and come up with a suggestion! Then I'll try one and if it works, order several more.

Appreciate it !,
Bob H.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4047.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Many thanks for writing in to us. Your old balance system has been replaced by the manufacturer with the 15-140 balance shoe, the 15-143 coil bushing, the 15-144 coil bushing cap and the 15-145 coil spring bushing. For a 21 lb sash you would use one Series 150-5 and one Series 150-6 on each side of the sash. We do also offer a more complete coil balance system that people like to use, the Series 140. For your 21 lb sash you would use an S140-11 on each side of the sash. Please review both options and see what you think is best.

Thank you Paul, I will go to your web site and order two Series 140-11's and try them on one window.

Appreciate the help,
Bob H.
Profile picture of Paul

Glad to be of help! Let us know if you have any questions about installing.

Hi again-
I received the two coil balances but they seem to be too big to physically slide into the jamb. It looks like I need a two piece coil balance system as that is what I originally removed. Please see attached photos. Please advise as the original coils disintegrated when removing so now I cannot open this window until I get the correct part or have a better understanding how to get the new one into the jamb. Please do not recommend to take the one piece apart as I already tried that and failed. Going backwards here please help !
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4051.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4051.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4052.JPG
Profile picture of Paul

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! I know the cutout is smaller than this balance system, but you should still be able to install it. You just have to feed it in at an angle, bottom-first. You typically always want to install a coil balance system as a completed assembly, since you aren't able to attach the individual pieces once they're inside the jamb. 

If you still are not able to do it, you could make the cut out a little larger, but you don't want to make it too big.

Profile picture of Paul

That's fantastic news! I'm glad you got it in there, Bob. Thank you for the update and, of course, thank you so much for getting in touch with us so we could help you with this project. If you ever need anything else in the future, you know where to find us!

Profile picture of Tom

Ditto what Paul said! We're always here to help as best as we can, Bob. 

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

As a Patriots fan also named Bob, I'd just like to salute you, Bob, for this very witty comment about our team owner (also named Bob). 

Ahhhh....Success....a Happy Ending! No, not the one
Bob Kraft had :-), I'm referring to the one where the customer is satisfied as I was able to complete the task with the help of my new friends at Swisco!

I made a larger cut in the jamb that allowed me to get the coil in place but still small enough that the jamb cover covers the opening easily.

Thanks to Paul and Tom. I will now order 4 more coils for additional repairs.

Thanks again and All the Best !
-Bob H.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window stays up.JPG
I live about 4 miles from Gillette Stadium ! Yes, I'm a big fan. No Gronk, no Flowers, half the coaches skip town, no receivers except Edelman,but Bill will figure out a way :-)

Thanks again,
Bob H.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

In Bill We Trust (a big trade on draft day would be swell too though). 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.