Charging a spiral balance

Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Jun 8, 2010 12:47 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Sure, I'll do my best to clarify this term.

In short, charging a spiral balance is when you wind the spiral rod in place to allow the spring to build up tension. This is necessary during the installation process for just about all spiral balances.

The easiest way to do this is to use a special tool made for this express purpose. Specifically our 75-006 for tilt windows or 75-005 for non tilt. You connect these to the prongs at the bottom tip of the balance and turn the crank, which tightens and strengthens the balance. 

A few turns will get it strong enough for your sash. We recommend 3-4 to start out, and if it's still a little weak after that then give it 1-2 more. 

I'll include a video below for you to review. This should clarify matters for you.

1 Replies
Quick Learner from MASSACHUSETTS
Jun 8, 2010 3:26 pm
Can you explain what is meant by "charging" a spiral balance? And, do I really need to purchase a special tool to do it or can I make do with something else?
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts