Coil Balancers Need Matched

Quick Learner
May 11, 2024 10:52 am
Working on some windows and unable to find the match on the website as the part that I thought was it, only goes up to 26 stamp as mine is a 30 stamp. I think I need a triple coil. I have attached a picture for reference. Is this something you have in stock? If so, can you direct me to the correct link or part name/number?
I thank you in advance.
IMG_0185
1 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 12, 2024 6:13 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting. This looks like a 15-228 Pivot Shoe. This shoe uses either 3/8" thick Series 165 Coil Balances, or the 1/2" thick Series 160 springs. You'll need to remove the existing assembly and measure the thickness of the springs to confirm which Series you need.

The parts for this particular setup are all sold separately. For each individual coil spring, you have to choose a spring weight, which denotes the weight the individual spring can support. I wouldn't necessarily go by the stamp on the housing for this setup--instead, look for stamps on the springs themselves. If there are none or you're unsure, give me the exact weight of the window sash these springs support, and I can work out what you need. 

Quick Learner from sarasota florida
May 13, 2024 12:35 pm
thank you for that, i will plan to go remove the part and disassemble to to get that info for you. However, when i was there last time i did bring a scale to weigh the sash and it weighs exactly 50lbs. lmk if ill still need to remove the part or if thats enough to let u iknow what i need? thanks
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 14, 2024 8:47 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

That's uncommonly heavy for a window that uses coil balances, but still doable. Our Series 165 spring only carries 8 pounds per spring at maximum, so if you still use 3 springs per side that's only giving you 48 pounds of total support. That's a little too light for my tastes so I'd advise using 4 springs per side instead of 3. 

The Series 160, being larger at 1/2", tends to be stronger. You can use two 9 pound springs and then one 7.5 pound spring on each side. That gives you 25.5 pounds of support per side, which is perfectly sufficient for a 50 pound sash.

It will ultimately depend on the size of the spring. That should be the next detail you check.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts