Coil spring balances

A quick learner from Ann Arbor, MI says:
I have 4 windows that have broken balance springs. Will need replacement parts. If you have any installation guides or videos that would be helpful.

Replacing both sides so will need 8 total
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 812D4A1F-C0A6-418E-B321-AE224C874789.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C7D55D21-5D3C-428A-B8A4-7ECED7905B87.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 495CFA9E-2832-4CB4-B26D-B02BC774879F.png
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! I am confident that there is a replacement coil balance assembly that we will be able to recommend for you, however, I'll need to see a photo of your existing hardware removed from the window.

I'll need to see the pivot shoes as well as any other compatible parts. You'll also need to have them removed to confirm the measurements of your pivot shoe.

Also, you'll need to look for any stamps on the metal coil that might indicate the spring strength needed for your window. If the windows are different sizes, you'll need to confirm the stamps for each window.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Jasmine,

Attached are pictures from the windows. Two are 36" and two are 32", but the hardware appears to be the same. I included a picture of each of the labels just in case.

The label shown is from the 36" window (I see it says 37 x 29.25)
I couldn't send any more pics. The other label says 33 x 29.25

Thanks again,

Jeff
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2463.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2460.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2451.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2457.jpg

Thanks for the photos. You have a coil balance assembly that appears to be an older discontinued shoe that is no longer available. For this, we typically recommend our 15-192 Certainteed pivot shoe to replace your Simonton brand part but you may need to shave down the aligners from the shoe to install it into the window. Take a look at the dimensions to confirm if it may work for you.

detail of 15-192
detail of 15-192

There are compatible with the Series 170 coil balances as well as the Series 171. The S171 is stacked on top of the S170 in situations where there is more than one coil. The confirm which coil strength you need, you'll need to look for any stamps/markings on the metal coil. If there are no stamps/markings, you'll need to get the window weight and divide it by the total number of coils in the window.

We are now recommending the 15-259 pivot shoe, which should fit well in the track, along with the S159 coils springs and the 15-256 double support. To use this assembly, the original pivot bars would need to be replaced with our 26-083. We are still in the early stages of confirming if this replacement is a good long-term solution but we have high hopes that it will work with little need for modifications, if any. Take a look and if you decide to give it a try, we'd be eager to hear how it works out for you.

Hi Jasmine,

I am impressed with your knowledge and willingness to help!

I will need parts to replace both sides of four windows. Here is a list, please let me know if there is anything I missed:

8 pivot shoes 15-259
8 pivot bars 26-083
8 coil springs S170
8 coil springs S171
8 covers (wide) I can salvage the other 8. Some broke when removed
No balance drums. I saved all the others

Thank you,

Jeff

If you are going with using the 15-259 shoe, you'll need the Series 159 Coil Springs and the 15-256 double support, as described. 

The Series 170 and Series 171 are not compatible with this shoe nor are the wide covers. Also, the balance drum is not used along with the Series 159 springs.

Please be sure to carefully read all of the information above and watch the video so that you can determine the best replacement assembly for your window.

Okay. Does this look correct?

15-259 pivot shoe - 8 items

S159 coils springs - 8 or 16? Two per track or one per track?

15-256 double support - 8 items

26-083 Pivot Bars - 8 items
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Yes, those are the parts we use to repair Simonton windows like your original. The video Jasmine shared above should hopefully explain how best to install them; I've done this conversion myself and it's fairly straight forward, but it does require a little elbow grease. Coil balances are always going to be a little tricky since it's such a tight fit in the track. I'd be lying if I said I never scraped a knuckle or two.

As for how many springs to use, that depends entirely on how much weight you need. The rule of thumb is to take the weight of the sash and divide that by how many springs support it. Your next step should be to weigh your sash on a scale (any common bathroom scale will do) and then divide it by two, under the assumption that you'll be using one spring per side (for now).

If you find that none of the available Series 159 weight options are strong enough to carry that weight as a pair, then you scratch that out and divide the sash weight by 4, instead. This is now assuming that you'll be using two springs per side.

So, for example, if your sash weight is 19 pounds, and you only want to use one spring per side, then you can easily use the 9.5 pound option for the Series 159. Two of these working together hold 19 pounds exactly.

Hopefully that makes sense, but let me know if you need any clarification.

I think the 9.5 pound option in the Series 159 will be fine. The sash does not weigh 19 pounds. Not even sure why they put those in other than to hold the window up.

Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I know the sash doesn't weigh 19 pounds, I only used that as an example. Your next step should absolutely be to weigh your sash to best determine what weight options you need for each spring.

Wow! Now I know why your title says expert. Two of the sashes weigh 24 pounds and the other 2 weigh 21.

Jeff
Profile picture of Tom

Great! That makes this a lot easier.

Starting with the 24 pound sash, you have two options. The first is to use S159-12 on each side (12.5 pounds each), which gives you 25 pounds of support. That's one pound over what you need, but in my experience that should be fine. One pound off won't be the end of the world and you probably won't notice a difference.

The other option is to use one S160-6 (6.5 pounds) or one S160-5 (5.5 pounds) per side. This will give you an even 24 pounds of support, but a double spring setup is a little tougher to install. 

It's really up to you which way you want to go, I think both would work equally well, it's just a matter of preference.

I prefer to go with the 12.5 on each side. I want the easier to install.

Can I use those for all four windows? Even the 21 lb sashes. I'm good with that if you say it's okay.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm very sorry, I totally missed where you mentioned an additional 21 pound sash. That's my fault. 

No, you will need different strength coils for each weight. For a 21 pound sash you can just use one 10.5 pound spring per side. That will give you 21 pounds of support precisely, with no overlap. That should be perfect.

Sorry again for the oversight! I'm happy to answer anything else you need.

Do you have all the information you need for my parts order?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that I can't place an order for you. You can, however, buy these parts directly on our site at your convenience. You can also call our customer support line at (888) 991-1929 if you'd prefer.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.