Eagle Window prior to Anderson Purchase - Sash Spring

A contractor from Springtown, PA says:
We've been contracted to repair several broken sash spring mechanisims in varying size windows. Please provide a direct email for correspondence.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 3.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to look into this for you but we will need to see a better view of the front of your balance assembly. We'll also need to confirm the metal channel lengths, stamp codes, and see the fittings attached to the ends of an undamaged assembly. Thank you. 

Paul, thanks for getting back to me. I am attaching the additional photos and I'll type out the stamps, hard to read;

Stamp says DB /(?)02 32 REG
OA Length 33" x 9/16" w x 1/2" deep

Would like to substitute a 32 HD if avaiable, 32 Reg has eak components
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 4 top Spring Clip.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 5 Broken Block.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 6 Bottom Block & Attachment Tab.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 7 Number Stamps.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. If your balance measures exactly 33" long, it looks like you would need the S770-33. You would also need a rivet installed in the second set of holes to accommodate an S-clip like the 19-029, which we can provide through a custom order. 

To get started, we'll need you to confirm the exact weight of your window sash to determine the correct spring strength for your replacement balances. Since you mentioned you need these balances for multiple windows, make sure to confirm the balance length and sash weight for each window that is a different size. 

Thanks Casey, We were away for a few days. I was able to weigh the sash, it is 23 lbs.

We would want the that small "S" Clip included, riveted in the correct position. I will need (4) Balances for (2) windows.

Will the balance come with small cast "tab" that slips into the channel guide?

Could you please quote these (4) balances? Additional window balances will need replacing for this project, but they will be different lengths and weights. We are addressing one area at a time and want to see how these work.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks, Jeff 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya 8 Attachment Tab.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Great, we just sent over an order link and price quote for the balances you requested. Please note that the S-clips are not included in the quote but you can add them to your cart to purchase with your custom balances. Also, the balances will come with the terminal clip shown in the image below. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. Thank you!

Close up view of the Series 770 balance bottom.
Close up view of the Series 770 balance bottom.

The above project you helped with is continuing. The first set of balnces worked great. I now have 11 additional windows to repair. They are larger and heavier. There will be (11) sets of upper and lower sash balances.

The upper balance sash dimension is 32" w x 47" h, weighs 40 lbs.

The balance model numbers are DB102 / 44XHD "S" clip in the second hole, rivet in the 4th hole.

The lower balance sash dimension is 32" w x 35" h, weighs 30 lbs.

The balance model numbers are DB102 / 38HD "S" clip in the second hole, rivet in the 6th hole.

Please quote, let me know if you have any questions.

Does your company have any replacemenmt covers that snap in to cover balance areas and the stop that keeps the upper sashes from coming down to far for these old Eagle windows?

Jeff 

Profile picture of Casey

We'd be happy to send over price quotes for the additional balances that you need with the same specifications as your original orders. Before we get started, we'll need to confirm the exact length of the metal balance channels for your upper and lower sashes. Also, please note that, unfortunately, we do not carry replacement balance covers but a local hardware store may be able to provide them.

Thanks Casey, The exact dimensions will be 45" and 39". Let me know if you need anything else.

Jeff 

Profile picture of Casey

We appreciate your patience as we worked on this for you. We just sent over order links and price quotes for 22 of the 45" long and 22 of the 39" long S770 balances with the same rivet in the second hole as your previous order. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. Thank you!

Thank you Casey for getting back. I am attaching two pictures. I need to confirm we are on the same page with the rivet locations. You are correct that the rivet for the "S" clips are in the second hole. The rivet holding the sash balance on the 45" is in the 4th hole and the balance rivet on the 39" is in the 6th hole. I just need to confirm before I place the order since there are so many of them.

Thanks Jeff.

Profile picture of Casey

If you're referring to the rivet that holds the tension spring in the metal channel, that is not a standard position and would not be a problem as long as the sash weights that you provided are accurate. Balances can have the springs mounted in the channel in different positions and the springs inside the channel are sometimes different lengths. As long as the spring tension is calibrated to support the weight of the sash, they will work just as well. If you're still concerned, we would be happy to send you quotes for a lesser quantity to try before placing your larger order but you should be fine since the previous balances that you purchased worked well. 

Casey, thanks for the looking into this for me. I am confident in the sash weights we provided. I'll be placing the od=rder as quoted. Thanss again for your help.

Jeff 

JC Hershey, Inc.

Profile picture of Casey

Great, just let us know if you have any other questions.

Casey, hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Ongoing repairs at this property, could you please identify these "Pivot Locks" not sure if I'm calling them the correct name. Also I have three more window to replace sash balances. I have not taken them out. Is there a way to get balances by window sizes from what I've order from the last few repairs?

Thanks, Jeff 

JC Hershey Inc.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roya Pivot lock.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Hi Jeff, 

For new pivot shoes, start by comparing the style and dimensions of the 15-129 and 15-152 to confirm the best fit! 

We can supply the same configuration of balance as before, but we would need to know the exact length of the balance and the number on the metal channel. It would be best to have the weight of the sashes as well. 

We always recommend checking the windows to make sure they use the same style of balance. 

Thank you Casey for the info.

Please prepare a quote for (10) pcs of the 15-152 Pivot shoe

For this set of sash repairs: (8) pcs of each size:

Large Sash: 28 lbs, Balance number OB-HO2 35 HD 36" overall, spring pin in 6th hole

Small Sash: 20 lbs, Balance number DB-HO2 29 Reg 30" Overall, spring pin in 4th hole, note

this is the one that broke, needs stonger model.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeff 

Profile picture of Casey

Great, we just sent over the updated order links and price quotes for your 30" and 36" balances. Keep in mind that the position of the rivet that holds the spring is not a determining factor since the springs will be calibrated to support your sash weights but they will come with rivets in the top of the metal channels for installation. 

Also, note that the 15-152 pivot shoes are not included in the links since it is a stock item but you can add them to your order directly from the product page on our website. 

Thanks Casey, you been a big help for us on this project, Jeff @ JC Hershey
Profile picture of Casey

That's great to hear. Please let us know if you need anything else. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.