Float away door hardware

Quick Learner from Cape Coral, Fzl.
Jun 15, 2023 8:06 pm
Do you have replacement hardware for this bifold door? It's super old, date on back says 1971. Neither door set had a complete set of hardware on it. They're in an old mobile home. Hoping you could help with the upper and lower pin replacements. Also not sure the tracks have the pieces they're supposed to. I have more pictures. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Marcus
IMG_0049 IMG_0050 IMG_0046 IMG_0042 IMG_0041
5 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Bob from SWISCO
Jun 16, 2023 2:11 pm

Hi Marcus. These pins look like old Float-A-Way bifold door parts to me. Unfortunately many of the parts associated with this brand are no longer available. We still carry the 21-033 Bottom Guide pin, but the bottom pivot pin is unfortunately no longer available. We also carry the 21-104 cap which should work with some of your old pins. Take a look and see what you think.

Detail of 21-033
Detail of 21-033

Quick Learner from Cape Coral, Fzl.
Jun 18, 2023 9:20 am
Thank you. Do you carry the top pins with the spring? Do you carry any parts for the tracks? I'm not sure what should be in the tracks.
Thanks again
IMG_0057 IMG_0046 IMG_0047 IMG_0063 IMG_0065
5 user uploaded images
Paul from SWISCO
Jun 22, 2023 9:05 am

Thank you for getting back to us. I believe that you have the old Float-a-Way bi-fold doors. The replacement parts for these are unfortunately dwindling and many are not available. 

I suggest converting over to the Slimfold door pins. Doing this will require replacing the tracks along with the pins, to ensure that everything is compatible. I've made a list of parts on this page for you to review. Specifically, I suggest doing one set of doors with a pair of tracks (21-401, 21-402, 21-403, or 21-404 depending on length). You also want one 21-001 bottom adjusting pin and three 21-007 spring loaded pins per panel. Lastly, you will will need two 21-277 bumpers and if the old bushing are worn then you will also need the 21-152 and 21-153.

I know replacing the entire system isn't ideal, but I really do think it's your best option these days. The original parts just aren't around anymore.

Quick Learner from Burke, VA
Aug 24, 2023 6:29 pm
Hi, I believe that I have similar sets of the Kinkead Float-A-Way doors installed throughout a house I just purchased. The tracks are in great condition, but a number of the top and bottom pins are missing caps or just worn out.

I've measured the track, and the opening is 3/8 as shown in the attached photos. Would it be possible to upgrade the "outer" upper and lower pins to the 21-007 part you have shown here without replacing my existing track? I'm not certain that the bottom pivot pin replacement you suggested would work with my frame since there isn't a place to lock in the 21-154 pivot rod clamp shown in your install video.

What part configuration would you recommend given my situation. Thank you for your assistance.
IMG_6400 IMG_6399 IMG_6401
3 user uploaded images
Paul from SWISCO
Aug 31, 2023 9:58 am

Based on your second photo you show here, that of the threaded pin, you might be able just replace the worn out nylon cap with our 21-204

Similarly, for the bottom pivot pin shown in your third photo, you might just need the 21-149 nylon grommet to repair it. 

As for replacing the pins themselves, I recommend using our 21-007. I'm just not sure about the bottom threaded adjusting pin. If possible, can you tell me the diameter of the pin tip that goes into the nylon pivot block? That would help me narrow down the list of possibilities.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts