Hardware for metal bi-fold closet doors

A home owner from Potomac, MD says:

Hello,

I want to replace all hardware of my metal bi-fold closet doors in my house, and need help to identify what they are.

Thank you,

Lei 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5760.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5763.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5761.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5764.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5765.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

For each panel of your Benchmark door, you will need one 21-002 bottom corner adjusting pin and three of the 21-044 spring-loaded guide pins. Your photos show two panels, so you would double the quantity to two of the 21-002 and six 21-044. Take a look and thanks for posting!

Paul,
Thank you so much for your help! I found both 21-044 and 21-091 spring loaded guide pins have been used on closet doors in my house. What's the difference between them and which one is a better choice? Do I need to buy the following as well? I plan to replace all the hardware on those doors. Are there any installation videos?
21-160 5/16" Speed Nut
21-209 Pivot Bracket, Benchmark
21-157 Spring Retainer
Thanks much,
Lei
Profile picture of Paul

I believe you may mean the 21-042 rather than the 21-091 pin. The 21-042 is the older model Benchmark guide pin used on your doors but they converted to the 21-044 pin to make things easier for the homeowner. To change a pin, you'd first remove the door by lowering the bottom adjusting pin, the 21-002, and pull down the two 21-044 pins from the track before pulling out the door. At that point, you can squeeze the 21-157 spring retainer to release the 21-044 pin and replace it. 

The older 21-042 pin with the 21-155 locking push nut requires breaking it to remove the pin from the door. When you are finished, you would place the bottom adjusting pin into the 21-209 bracket and install the 21-044 guide pin in the bottom track. Then, you would carefully swing the door up and place the two 21-044 pins into the top track. The 21-002 pin is used to adjust and square up the door.

Thank you Paul for your detailed explanation and instructions! Maybe 21-091 pins weren't used for some of my closet doors, but I saw cone shape springs were used instead of straight springs, and wondered why. Now I feel confident to replace those hardware by myself.
Profile picture of Paul

Great! Just let us know if there is anything else that you'd like to clarify and we will do our best to assist you. 

How to Install Bi-Fold Closet Door Pins
How to Install Bi-Fold Closet Door Pins
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install bi-fold closet door pins
How to install bi-fold closet door pins
VIDEO
WATCH >
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.