Help With S795 balance and 15-046 shoe

A quick learner from Apex, NC says:
Can you provide some instructions on how the 15-046 pivot shoe is to be properly connected to a 765 series plain channel balance? The channel balance I am replacing is exactly like your 765 series plain channel balance, but the pivot shoe on my window is a little different that the 15-046. It looks like the original pivot show was attached to the balance from the back side, so that there is no way for me to unhook the original pivot shoe from the balance without removing the entire channel balance and shoe together. Moreover, there is no cutout on the channel, so I will have to get the pivot shoe and balance out as a whole but cutting somewhere on the channel. For the lower sash, the cutout will have to be somewhere on the bottom half of the channel. I am quite confident that the 15-046 pivot shoe will work as a replacement, but it isn't obvious where the hook on the balance is supposed to connect to the pivot shoe. There are multiple slots on the pivot shoe
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You should be able to unhook the old balance from the pivot shoe. The balance hook can't attach to the pivot shoe from the back. Please check that out again. To replace the pivot shoe with the new 15-046 shoe, you would make the cut out at the top of the window track for the bottom sash (and at the bottom for the top sash). Just make the cut large enough to get he shoe in. We have a video on the best method which you can see here.
Then install the balance at the top, bring the shoe up to the bottom balance hook, and hook it in the center channel of the pivot shoe. Place a slot screw driver in the pivot cam and pull down the pivot shoe a few inches, then turn the cam towards you to lock it in place. Repeat for the other side and reinstall the sash.
A quick learner from Apex, NC says:
The pivot shoe in my window is not like the replacement pivot shoe. I have intentionally destroyed two pivot shoes while they were in the window trying to determine how the hook on the balance is connected. I have not been able to see a slot on the side of the shoe facing me to remove the hook. I suspect these windows were assembled in the factory with no simple provision to replace the pivot shoe or the balance. The balance also has to be force out of the channel because it is a little wider than the channel opening.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think the best option at this point is to take a few pictures of your hardware for us to see so that we can recommend a solution. I may be able to recognize what you have based on your pictures.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.