Hope you can help to identify counter balance for windows.

A home owner from Lynn MA says:
Hi,

I am interested in repairing some of my loft windows. They are oversized drafty aluminum windows. Could you help me to identify the counter balance part that a neighbor of mine used for his windows? Could you also give me a cost for the counter balance? I posted description below for the pictures to help. Thank you for your help.

1) A/B comparison of new and old counterbalance
2) A/B tip close-up (grommet)
3) A/B tip close-up (protuberant)
4) New counterbalance installed (arrows highlight spring that has been pulled out of the cylinder and attached to window piece)

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. The channel balance looks like our Series 770 and the spiral balance looks like it will have to be custom made. We could do it for you, but I just need a bit more information. Can you give me the numbers printed on each balance you're looking to replace? I will also need to know the length of each and the weight of the window sash that each goes to. Thank you!
Hi Paul,

Thank you for emailing me back. It was a little difficult to remove the sash and weight it. Here are some of the answers to your questions.

1. Lower Window sash dimensions 41 1/2"L x 40 1/4"H
2. Broken counter balance has etched on it(38H BSI PD)
3. The window weight is 45 pounds

I think the original installed counter balance were improperly sized. All my windows are failing. I think a lot of my neighbors are also failing. I am not sure if the custom round counter balance will operate better or just looks nice? If you could give me a price for both (off the shelf balance) and the round custom balance), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! Can you just confirm that this information is for the spiral balance? That looks like a stamp that would be on the Series 770 channel balance. I will need the length of the spiral balance tube, the numbers printed on each tube, and the weight of the sash that the spiral balances support.
Tom,

I will have to ask my neighbor if I can measure his spring w/ the partial plastic tube sleeve counter balance. Hopefully I can find identifying numbers on the plastic sleeve(the custom balance was installed from the previous owner).

My building is a converted factory building. Three of the fa
A home owner from Lynn says:
Hi Tom, sorry it took this long to get back.

The spiral balance tube is roughly 38 1/4 in.

We could not find numbers on the tube, but we saw an imprint that said ultra-lite.

The weight is 45 lbs.

As I said before, I think the original installed counter balance were improperly sized. All my windows are failing. I think a lot of my neighbors are also failing. I am not sure if the custom round counter balance will operate better or just looks nice? If you could give me a price for both (off the shelf balance) and the round custom balance), it would be greatly appreciated.

Please clarify whether or not you have a recommended off-the-shelf if the custom balance cannot be identified with this information?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
We will email you a custom balance ordering link shortly!
A home owner from Lynn says:
The price difference between the 770 and the 880 series is steep.
What sort of balance is the series 880. (s880-38-45lbs-Q5290) Is it a channel balance? Is it a sprial balance?
Do you have something that is off-the-shelf (non-custom) that would work as well?
Profile picture of Tom
The custom balance we have set up for you is a special type of spiral balance. I do not believe any of our typical spiral balances could work in this instance, as yours has to be specifically made for your window.
Hi,

I live in the same building and have the exact same windows. Could you provide me with the same off the shelf and custom information to replace my balances.

Thank you.

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
The Series 770 was used for the channel balances and I'll email you a custom ordering link for the tube balances. Just be sure to check the original tubes for the lenght and if you find a stamp number let me know and we will see if it is the same.
A quick learner from Lynn, MA says:
Hello,
I live in the same building as above. One of my counter balances on one of the windows let go. I would need to order some, and I would like to get them ordered prior to my condo selling in one month. Would this be possible?
Profile picture of Tom
Sure, that shouldn't be an issue. Can you confirm the information we requested above? Specifically, we need to know the number printed on the balance tube, its length, its color, and finally the weight of the window sash.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.