How to remove Balance Brackets

A home owner from USA says:
Hello,

I'm replacing my balances (series 400 with the cross piece, 30", red bushing) on my non-tilt aluminum windows. Unfortunately, a couple of the brackets (bracket #13 17-010) have rusted out and are no longer attached to the window. Would you please advise on how best to remove these brackets since the balances are still hooked into the brackets, are under tension, and have twisted up into the side of the window? Is there a special tool that would help? Also, once removed would I be able to use a balance with a j-hook to act as both a balance and a bracket?

Below is a link that reflects the type of windows/brackets I have.

Thank you for your time and help!

Regards,
Ben
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Unfortunately, replacing brackets like the 17-010 is very, very difficult. The sash has to be removed in order to get to them but the catch is that the sashes on this type of window were not designed to be removed in any way. In fact, they were specifically designed so that they can't be removed.

This type of hardware is generally used in what we call "builder's grade" windows, which are typically older, aluminum windows that are installed en masse. There have been many manufacturers for this kind of window, most of whom aren't even in business anymore, but their general philosophy was the same across the board: when something broke, they wanted you to buy a whole new window, not a tiny, inexpensive repair part.

Now, it's not impossible to remove the sash, but it is a huge project. You basically have to disassemble the entire window frame to allow the clearance needed to take it out. This is by no means easy and it is not something I like to recommend. My advice to you is to try to get in touch with a local professional who is familiar with this kind of window and see if they'd be willing to come out and look at it for you. They may even know a trick that I don't, but at the very least they would do the job so you don't have to.

As for replacing the balances, we do offer the 75-005 charging tool to grasp the spiral and charge the balance during installation. Take a look at our guide here for more details covering this process. Thank you, 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.