How to remove crank handle

A quick learner from Colorado says:
Hi - Just discovered your company and am very happy that I may be able to replace parts of broken casement windows instead of getting new windows! I have 1980 Weather Shield Casement windows. Am stumped on how to remove the crank handles. I do not see any set screw visible. Does the handle just pull off?
Thanks so much for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Good morning, and thank you for posting! Usually, if there are no screws holding the crank handle on, they should just pull off. Let me know if that works! If not, could we see a few pictures of the handles themselves?
A quick learner from Westminster, CO says:
Success!! Our body builder son was able to pull the remains of the broken handle off. Now, we are trying to turn the stub with pliers, vise grips; seems like it is stripped inside. How can we open the window. We've unlocked and are able to push the top part out a little bit, but the bottom edge remains firmly in place against the sash. Here's a picture
A customer submitted photo of a window operator.

Also, on another window we have a broken lock handle.

Have included a picture of this. It measure 3" high by 2 7/8" wide.
A customer submitted photo of a window lock.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us! I'm glad you were able to get the old handle off. However, if the spline of your operator is stripped out, you will likely need to replace the whole thing. I can help you identify what you need, however I will need to see a few pictures of your operator as fully removed from the window. I will also need to know its dimensions.

As for your window lock, we do not have an exact replacement for it. However, please take a look at our 38-097 & 39-098 EntryGard Sash Locks and compare them to your own hardware. Could these be used as a substitute? If you decide to go with these locks, you will also need a new keeper. Please see our 38-079.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us. I'm glad to hear that this hardware will work for yo!

Normally, the sill cover is installed with small wire brad nails. You should try to use a small thin chisel or pry bar, such as our 75-081 to gently lift it up. Be careful, as you don't want to crack the moulding! Always remember: safety first.
A quick learner from Colorado says:
Tom -

Just getting back on this project. I've ordered the Sash Locks and Keepers. Based on the measurements these should work on my window.

I need some advice on how to remove the operator from the window. The operator is underneath part of the window frame. What is the best way to remove this piece of wood so that it doesn't break and can go back in place after the window is fixed.

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate having an expert to ask these questions.
Hi -
We are finally tackling this project to replace the crank operator. Have removed it and taken a couple pictures. There is a part number on the underside - it is 40056 along with the RH designation. I will measure the arm but I need instruction on where to measure from.

Thanks
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Hey good to see you again! How about our 39-028E & 39-027E? I think these look pretty similar, but take a look and let me know if you agree.
A quick learner from westminster, CO says:
Hi - we ordered the 39-028E. Think this will work but not sure about the beige color. the current one is a light bronze. Will let you know if this works out. Thanks.
It's installed! The beige color is not the same as the light bronze we had, but it looks really nice with the trim color and this window is the only crank in the room so not so noticeable that it's different.

Now I have a new question. Since the shape of this crank is slightly different than the one that we had, the sill cover does not fit exactly over it. We think we need to cut the opening to fit and are wondering if there is a template or technique to do this? May need to start with a new piece of sill cover trim. Thanks so much for all your help and being such a great source for the parts we have needed.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! I'm glad it worked out for you. As for the sill cover, there's no real template for this. If you're not comfortable cutting the opening to shape, you might want to contact a local carpenter.
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.