I need new balances for my Malta double hung windows

A handy person from Bridgewater, CT says:
I have 12 Malta windows from the 1990's. The small plastic parts that hold the pully/wheels for the balance spring strings are crumbling. I am hoping to retro-fit a balance into the jamb fit liner. I've attached pics of the liner shape and size of the liner channels. The sashes are somewhere between 15 and 18 lbs each I think. Is there a way I can insert a balance in the jamb-fit liner, secured by S clips?
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
This is a tricky project, but I have a couple ideas. Before I recommend anything, though, I need more information. Please show me the bottom sash tilt bar so that I determine what substitute balance shoe it could work with. Please also give me the height and width of the visible glass for the bottom sash.
A quick learner from Bridgewater, CT says:
The visible glass in the upper and lower sash are 31" wide and 23 1/2" high. Currently the tilt pin is in the middle of the sash that attaches to the kind of shoe you sell a replacement for: (Pivot Shoe, MaltaProduct Code: 15-159).

Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! Could we see the pivot pin in question? Since we're looking for all new hardware, there's a possibility that it needs to be replaced. I just want to know exactly what it is you're working with so that we have more room for experimentation.
Here are three images. The first is the original tilt pin and replacement shoe I purchased from Swisco. The second is a tilt pin modification I learned about from a video of Malta window owners. That is the tilt pin I currently have attached midway on the sash. The last picture just for information purposes is the balance pull bracket that is breaking down, along with one I've added epoxy to in hopes of getting some more use out of it. Another possibility is having a couple dozen of these brackets 3D printed.

User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Paul

Perfect. I think I have an idea, though it would have to be custom made. I'm thinking of using our S750-24 channel balance, but attaching our 15-159 shoe at the bottom. We would also be using the 23R stamp option; a pair of balances with this option can carry a window sash weight of 10 through 18 pounds. Finally, your top and bottom sash will require two different S clips at the top in order to install; the top sash will need the 19-029 and the bottom sash will need the 19-030. Please review this hardware and let me know if you think this will work in your jamb.

If so, then check out these two custom request forms: one for the Top Sash and one for the Bottom Sash. Simply fill out the blank fields and one of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote and the items to add to your cart.

Thanks Paul. Would the balance for the bottom sash attach at the top of the liner and the balance for the top sash attach at the bottom? I'm trying to picture how this solution would work.
Profile picture of Paul
They would both attach at the top.
Would the pivot pins on the sashes still be in the middle of the sash? Or would they need to be moved to the bottom of the sash?

If the S70 balance is 24" long the shoe would reach the bottom of the top sash.
Profile picture of Paul
Ah, I see. Yes, if the pivot pins are not currently in place to catch the shoe, then you will likely have to move their position.
Paul,

It works! I ordered 4 of your S750 24" balances and I changed the shoe
Profile picture of Paul
Awesome! I'm so glad it did. It's always nice when a custom setup like this works out. Hopefully this will help other customers in the future, too.
A handy person from Pennsylvania says:
Hi. I realize that this is an old thread but hopefully someone, maybe Paul, will reply.
Anyone know what the ORIGINAL balance on this Malta window was like? Was it a channel, spiral, pulley, constant force, etc. type? And to HP Bridgewater (or anyone else) can you get any code or model numbers off your old original balance? I have a couple of these that are failing and would like to try and rebuild them with new springs, hardware, string, etc. My house was built in 1987 with I think Malta Classic View, double hung, clad wood frames and compression jamb liners. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Profile picture of Paul
I think the easiest way to solve your problem would be to take one of your jamb liners, and a sash, to your nearest mill work and have them set you up with a new jamb liner set. Trying to repair the pulley system with their plastic rollers and parts will be a very difficult and pricey project, and I think it would be easier and cost effective to just get new jamb liners.
A handy person from Pennsylvania says:
Thanks Paul.
A handy person from Medina oh says:
Hi Paul,

I think I have exactly the same problem with my Malta windows. If I sent pictures , they would be EXACTLY as in the above thread.

I'm trying to understand how many channel balances (and model#) I would need for the following window sizes:

2 windows- The visible glass in the upper and lower sash are both 34 7/8 " wide and 19 1/2" high

1 window -The visible glass in the upper and lower sash are both 34 7/8 " wide and 23 1/2" high

From the parts list you mentioned in the earlier thread I think I would need a total of :

12 channel balances (what model #'s -- S750-??)
12 15-159 pivot shoes (to replace all existing)
?? top s-clip 19-029 ? How many would I need ?
?? bottom S-clip 19-030 ? (how many would I need ?

I'd like to give this fix a try -- can you please confirm I'm on the right "track" ? and advise missing details ?

Thanks , In advance !!
Mike
Profile picture of Paul

Hi, Mike! Thanks for the detailed information. Hopefully we can help.

These are estimations from the dimensions you gave. You should compare them to the ones you have in the existing windows just to be 100% sure.

For the 34-7/8" x 19-1/2" window, I recommend eight S750-20 balances with a stamp of 19HD, which can support sashes weighing 17 through 22 pounds.

For the 24-7/8" x 23-1/2" window, you will need four S750-24 balances with a stamp of 23HD, which can support 18 through 22 pounds.

We would specially attach the 15-159 shoe to each of the above window balances. I also recommend ordering six of the 19-029 and six of the 19-030.

Please look over this information and let me know what you think. If it looks good to you, let me know and I'll email a special order link for the above balances.

A handy person from Medina, Oh says:
Thanks Paul,
Looks good to me.I will order and see how we do.
Regards,
Mike
A contractor from Massachusetts says:
I need jambs for 4 ,Malta 5A7 windows do you have those in stock I need them asap
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, I'm afraid we don't sell jambs, just balances to install into them. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

A handy person from Philadelphia says:
Hi Paul,
Have a question for you or any of the other folks that completed the conversion. Do these balances need to be special ordered or can I just order the correct length 750 series channels, a bunch of the listed s-clips, shoes, and tilt pins and piece it together myself. Seems as though I should just be able to order and put together but in a couple of spots Paul, you mentioned placing a custom order/request.
Profile picture of Paul

You can absolutely buy these parts separately and assemble it yourself, yes. Just note that any balance altered in this way cannot be returned for a refund. Custom made balances are also non-refundable, though, so in that aspect there isn't much difference.

I'm also required by policy to tell you to make sure to wear safety glasses and goggles before you attempt any alterations like you have in mind. These cords are under a lot of tension and if they slip out of your grip, that plastic could shatter. I've seen people I've worked with get hit in the eye in such circumstances, so take all necessary precautions. You definitely want to use a bench vice to keep that cord secure before you try swapping anything out.

A contractor from North Carolina says:
I know. Old thread. But sad/bad problem with these era Malta windows, including my own.
My compression jambs are the same as the pictures at beginning of this thread. How do you remove them without destroying those vinyl jambs any further ? They appear to be able to come out, but I see NO fasteners of any kind, and do not want to break them.
This thread seems to show that your channel balances can/will work in this series of windows. I need several different quantities and sizes.
Thanks in advance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

A lot of older window jamb liners are only held in place by the pressure provided by the sash itself. Once the sash is removed, they can be taken out by hand.

Of course, depending on how old it is, that's easier said than done. Age and sun exposure can make the vinyl much more brittle than it was when it was originally installed. With that in mind, you have to be extra careful not to crack it during removal. One trick I've seen is putting soapy water on the sill at the bottom of the jamb liner to help lubricate its removal. You could try that and see how it goes.

Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.