I would like to order (2) of these.

A home owner from Philadelphia says:
I believe they are called "window balances".
The number that is stamped on them is 2820.

Thank you, in advance, for your time.

Frank
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail3.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Frank! 

We're happy to help, but we'll need to see your top nylon fitting. I can only see the bottom fitting in your pictures. Take a look at the video below, it will detail exactly what we need to see in order to make a recommendation. 

Hi, Emily,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I hope that the additional (4) photos provide you enough information to identify the correct parts.

Thanks again,

Frank
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail5.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail6.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail7.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GetAttachmentThumbnail8.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for the additional pictures, Frank! 

It looks like you have either our S351-29, with a 15-002 bottom attachment, or S390-29, with a 15-001 bottom attachment. Take a look at the image below to determine which balance you'll need. You'll also need a spring strength option of 2820.

If you have any further questions just let us know. 

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Hello, again, Emily:

Thanks for narrowing down the possibilities.

The one that I measured seems to be slightly wider than 1" but not as wide as 1 1/8". I assume that wear-and-tear over the years has contributed to this and that I should order the S390-15-001.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Frank
Profile picture of Emily

Hey, Frank!

Yes, that makes sense! Your bottom shoe was most likely worn down over the years. It's quite common. If you'd like some peace of mind, you can view our return policy here

Emily:

After watching one of your videos, I realized that my windows only had one window balance per window pane. I therefore ordered (8) in order to replace the balances in all (4) window panes in the (2) windows.

Thanks again!!!!

Frank
Profile picture of Emily

You should replace all of your balances. It sounds like you only had one balance per sash which isn't good, someone most likely repaired it wrong. If you mix and match old and new balances, the new balance will wear out faster since the older balance is weaker. Therefore, the new balance has to work harder to pick up the slack which can cause it to break faster. 

Emily:

Thanks so much for the help and advice!

I have already ordered 2 for each of the window sashes for each of the 2 windows (for a total of 8 window balances).

Thanks, again,

Frank
A home owner from PA says:
Looking at these and other similar posted pics, I'm certain my lower sash balances would be either the S351-29 or S390-29, but the bottom shoes are all broken off, so I can't get the distinguishing measurement. But I see my upper sash (not being replaced) has intact shoes that I could get a measurement on. Can I assume the shoes are the same on both top and bottom sashes?
Thanks-

Rebecca
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Rebecca. Odds are the top sash uses the same Series as the bottom sash; that is to say, it will have the same combination of nylon fittings. I think you would be safe using the top sash balances as a reference for trying to determine what your shoe is.

One thing to note is that the top sash doesn't always use the same length. It sounds like that isn't a problem in your case but just something to keep in mind; the length of a top sash balance is sometimes (not always) different from the bottom sash balance.

Thanks. You guys are a great help!
Back again with a couple of issues! I'm trying to install my new s390's. I've included some new vs old part pics for reference.
1.Shoe size: maybe this isn't a problem, and I was pretty confident of my measurements (taken from upper sash bc all others were broken). But as the pic shows, the old one slopes up like a ski then comes to a point; the new one is beveled parallel and perpendicular to jamb. It seems to work ok (on one side, see point 2) but I wanted to check.

2. My windows won't re-insert with balances on both sides, even with a bit of prying. They do go in with 1 balance. I've tried on 2/6 windows. The metal jambs/tracks are stable, and there's just not enough room. So I'm guessing they only had one balance previously. I had assumed they were just broken and removed. It's a 1920-1920 built house.
So unless you have a secret trick to install with a second balance (without removing the jamb), I suppose I will leave them with just one. I know it's not ideal. It's a bit of hassle to return the 6 parts, but I suppose I will try.
Glad for any thoughts.
Rebecca
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B559B7DB-FA9E-41A3-91D8-D71684427209.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5B43FE56-33F2-47A8-A3A1-80FF02B8F330.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ADB6F150-0DC9-4C16-A17A-D2D8EC433A99.jpeg
Later the same day...please ignore #2 above. Sorry! After the 3rd window worked with 2 balances, I went back and tried again, and they worked! Must not have eaten my Wheaties. They just needed a bit more of a push, on the angle, and maybe the lubricant helped too. All are working now. Thank you!
Rebecca
Profile picture of Emily

Hey, Rebecca. 

I'm glad the balances are working out for you! For your first question, as long as the shoes' dimensions match up to each other, you should be good to go! I hope that helps.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.