Jeld wen spiral balance shoe

A home owner from Niceville FL says:
Hello I was hoping you could help identify replacement parts for this balance shoe and maybe the balance. I absolutely hate these as they are really hard to open and a few of them have broken. So I would prefer to have something that stays in as an alternative to the specific exact part. However I'll take whatever to fix the window for now.

Thanks!
Josh
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16509116316621182077743998850916.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Josh.

Your balance looks like a match for either our Series 900 (3/8" diameter tube) or Series 600 (5/8" diameter tube) with the black tip option. As for the pivot shoe, this could be either our 15-167 or 15-179 so I recommend looking over our dimensions and comparing them with yours to see which one of these matches best. 

Thank you for the reply. I take it there are no other options? These break and the spiral balances are super hard to open a lot of the time. The house is not that old it's super frustrating. Is there any hints or tips on that whole setup? Thank you again!
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

My apologies! We always recommend sticking with the hardware that's original to your window. I'll also post a video below that will walk you through the replacement process for these types of balances.

You say your spiral balances are hard to open, can you elaborate what you mean by this?

Copy on original hardware.

Basically the window is pretty tight as it is hurricane rated. However often times I'm using quite a bit of force to even get the window lifted uo / open for fresh air. The one tech came out and said to use pledge to help sort of lubricate it however I haven't found that to work consistently. More so, what seems to happen is the balances puts too much tension on the show and they pop out or in this case broke the metal bracket clip portion that the nubs go into. Also it is a pain to even get the little nubs to hook onto the bracket, from the spiral balance. I have the tool but it's not simple and I am realatively handy. Perhaps I need to buy more spiral balances as well and / or they have some sort of shelf life?

I'm willing to gamble on another balance / shoe solution if it fits, as well as the required parts.

Again I appreciate your input and help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there. Emily isn't here today but I'll do my best to help.

Sounds to me like these springs are too strong for the sash. You'd be surprised how many installers put in the strongest possible balance they can find, not realizing that that does more harm than good. They call these "balances" for a good reason; the calibration of the spring has to be balanced against the weight of the sash. If it's too strong then you run into the same issues you're having now.

Looking at your photos, I would wager that you have the 9/16" diameter Series 600. You have the Black Tip, too, which is the strongest possible calibration.

Can you tell me what the length of the tube is? That would allow me to determine exactly how much weight your balance was intended to support. Can you also tell me the weight of the sash itself? With those two pieces of information, I can confirm whether the Black Tip is indeed appropriate for your application and, if it's not, what would be better suited. 

Thanks again for the help and input.

I would not take your wager, as I agree 9/16s. Those weak grooves are what I despise.

Attached is a measurement of the tube.

I actually don't have a scale in the house but they are double pain, impact resistant (hurricane rated) jeld wen windows installed in 2011-2.

If I had to guess 25-35 lbs but I was never good at that game.
I can borrow a scale.

It may be that they also spun the spiral balance too tight but it is such a pain to do that I could see that happening. I am not very good at that.

I appreciate your inputs so far!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220428_175308.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 31
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window base.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! That is a 31" balance, so with a black tip we're looking at 31 through 40 pounds of support precisely. If That's just fine if your sash is 35 pounds, but if it's more on the 25 pound end of things then that's a problem. It would definitely be too strong in that case. I would definitely try to get that sash weight to confirm.

It is also possible that it was over-calibrated. These only require 2-3 turns to be properly charged. Any more than that can cause issues, though maybe not as dramatic as what you're seeing now. Still, it's definitely possible. Knowing the sash weight will either confirm or eliminate that as an explanation.

A quick learner from FL says:
Thanks!
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.