Key Lock Replacement

Quick Learner from Oakland, CA
Mar 9, 2020 1:31 pm
My client wants to have installed a key lock on the exterior of her sliding glass patio door. What would be the proper replacement for this project? I appreciate the help with this.
image1 image2 image3 image5 image6
5 user uploaded images
6 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 10, 2020 2:24 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

We do sell the 82-081. This is a keyed version of your older handle, as well as having a somewhat updated style. The bad news is that it's not available in black. I'm afraid we cannot offer that color option. Otherwise, I'm confident that it will work for you.

Mar 10, 2020 4:26 pm
Thanks, Tom, for getting back to me. I'll let my client know her options. Could you provide the product number for the updated version?
Mar 10, 2020 5:53 pm
Hey Tom. I just realized what you meant about the 82-081 being the updated version. On another note, my client just shared with me that the latch on another sliding door no longer works. I'd greatly appreciate if you could provide a replacement for this one as well. Thanks.
image 3 image 6 image0 image1 (1) image 2
5 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 11, 2020 9:08 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Sure thing! So, the 82-081 is compatible with two different types of mortise latch: the 82-238 and the 82-268B. Between these two, I think you probably have the 82-268B. It's tough to say while it's still installed but there's a good chance that's what your customer has. 

The reason I say this is because the side door trim totally covers the latch, which is common for this style. You'll have to pop the whole side trim of the door off in order to access the screws to remove it.

Mar 11, 2020 2:03 pm
Thanks Tom,

Just for clarification, for the first sliding door with the keyed solution, would we have to also purchase 82-268B or would the latch that is currently there compatible?

For the second sliding door, I think my terms were amiss. Instead of latch, I should have meant to say the handle set with the latch lever. If I understand my client correctly, that is the part that is not working. If I could get an appropriate replacement that would be much appreciated.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 12, 2020 8:13 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

As long as your old mortise is working and in good condition, you can reuse it. Our 82-081 will be compatible with the mortise you have now.

I guess I'm still a little uncertain about the issue with the second door. Are you saying that the thumb lever isn't flipping? If it is, then the issue very well may be with the mortise lock. I can't say for sure. I would remove the handle and play around with the mortise to be sure. Try flipping the hooks manually with a screwdriver by turning the hole where the thumb lever goes. If you feel resistance or if it feels stuck, then you've found your culprit.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts