Lift balances

Handy Person from Portland OR
May 1, 2024 8:29 pm
The window is 38" wide x 32' high and weighs 31 lbs. The spring is 1/2" wide. There is a plastic carrier with 3 balance springs on each side. IMG_4314 shows markings on spring. They are partially worn off. I could find no springs where some numbers were not worn off. These are supposed to be Milgard Windows, but I'm not sure.
triple spring housing coil cover IMG_4320 coil balance stamps coil balance stamps
5 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 2, 2024 10:31 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hey there!

We should be able to help with this. Can you show us a photo of the pivot shoe, preferably removed from the window? Seeing that will allow us to determine the compatible springs and supports. 

May 2, 2024 3:54 pm
I have added photos of the pivot shoe removed and the working pivot shoe in place on the opposite side of the window.

I also included photos of the lock/release mechanism. Do you have replacements for this?
pivot shoe coil tongue pivot shoe assembly window lock window lock
4 user uploaded images
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 6, 2024 10:32 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks! That pivot shoe looks like a match for our 15-191. This is designed to be compatible with our 1/2" wide Series 160 spring and 15-150T triple spring cover. I believe these are what you want but look them over and let me know what you think.

As for the lock, we don't sell anything like this. It reminds me somewhat of our 90-281, or maybe even our 90-298, but yours doesn't have screw holes. I'm not sure how well these would work, if at all.

May 9, 2024 7:52 pm
The pivot shoe is a match.

The series 160 spring is different from mine as you can see in the attached photo. The cutout is closer to the end.

I also attached 2 photos of the latch my windows have. It's a complicated mechanism designed to pull a band which releases the catches so the window can swing in. The mechanism is held by 2 screws and the lever part snaps onto it. It doesn't look like you have anything like that.

Thanks for your help!
Jim
window lock window lock IMG_4333
3 user uploaded images
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 10, 2024 1:23 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

The cut out on your old spring is different but our Series 160 springs will still work. Your lock is very odd though; I'm afraid we don't sell a good match for it. Your best option may be to reach out to Milgard directly if you haven't already. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts