Looking for replacement coil window balances for Jeld-Wenn windows

Quick Learner from Toronto
May 10, 2024 7:39 pm
Hi. I'm looking for replacement constant force window balances for several Jeld-Wenn double windows (see pictures, including one of the corner where Jeld-Wenn has etched some information on the glass if you look closely). Do you stock anything that would work for me? Thanks.
PXL_20240507_193505118 PXL_20240507_193422534 PXL_20240507_182206221
3 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 10, 2024 10:06 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello there. This exact pivot shoe is no longer made, but our 15-177 can replace it. This shoe, like your old one, works with Series 152 Coil Balances. For the replacement springs you have to choose spring weights. These indicate the weight each individual spring can uphold. If there are no stamps on the old springs that indicate this, or you're unsure, just weigh the window sash these balances support, and I can work it out for you. If your old housing is undamaged, you can reuse it; otherwise, the 15-143, 15-144 and 15-145 newer style components can be used to 'sandwich' around each spring. Let me know if you have further questions.

May 16, 2024 2:16 pm
That's really helpful, thank you! I just have one other question. I'm trying to take the balance out to see what might be stamped on the underside, but there's no cutout in the track to remove it. AFAICT the track is a single piece for both sashes, and is glued in place. Is there a trick to removing the balance in this situation? As an alternative I can make my own cutout.
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 17, 2024 9:19 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

As it turns out, making a cutout is precisely the trick we recommend. We actually have a video guide that shows you how we do it, which you may find helpful. 

May 28, 2024 12:09 pm
Once again, very helpful - thanks Bob! I've finally located my Dremel and taken out one of the old balances. It has no markings, but the sash weighs 19.8 lbs. The housings and shoe look a bit beat up but I can be sure they fit. Since there are four springs per sash, I presume I'll need the 5 lb Series 152 spring?
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 28, 2024 2:38 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Yes! That is exactly right. For a sash weighing 19.8 pounds, using two 5 pound springs per side should be perfect. The S152-5 is my top recommendation. 

May 28, 2024 5:31 pm
Thanks Bob. After the time I've spent pursuing answers from the window manufacturer and their resellers, it's a great pleasure to deal with someone who knows the exact information I need and shares it quickly and efficiently.
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 29, 2024 9:19 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I was happy to be of service. Please feel free to contact us again if you had any follow up questions!

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts