Need Help Identifying Parts

A home owner from Hagerstown, MD says:
I need to replace 18 spiral spring balances and pivot shoes. The windows are 30+ years old but I've had the local "Window Doctor" take a look at them and he says they are in great shape, no seals are busted, tilt works fine, etc. Except, opening and closing them is difficult at best due to the worn balances. The current ones are 23 1/2" long (tube only) and have a blue tip. The difficulty that I am having is measuring the diameter. Some of these have a plastic tube covering the spring balance. Many of these plastic coverings have cracked and crumbled. The plastic tube measures 1/2" so I believe the metal spring balance tube is 3/8". I also need help correctly identifying the correct pivot shoe. I have a few pictures that I can send to you if necessary. Thanks for your help. Charlie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200423_155704.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200423_160053.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200423_155927.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Charlie. I understand; these old spiral balances with plastic outer tubes can be tough to measure correctly. If the outer tube's diameter is greater than 3/8" however, that's the one to go by, and therefore I'm confident you need the 5/8" Series 600 Spiral Balances--the fact your balance has a Blue Tip is also indicative this is the Series you need, since only the Series 600 uses that color. 

Now, as far as the length goes, we advise rounding up with spiral balances that have a length ended in an X-1/2" increment. Therefore, you'd need our S600-24. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Hey Bob, the outer tube is a plastic cover (most of them cracked and crumbled) that encases the metal spring balance tube. That's why I feel that I need the 3/8" (it fits inside the 1/2" plastic tube/cover). Also need help with identifying the proper shoe. Might be easier to discuss on the phone. Thanks. Charlie
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Charlie. The plastic tube is the equivalent to the outer metal tube on our spiral balances, and it's the outer tube diameter that matters. So if that outer tube definitely has a greater diameter than 3/8", then you need the 5/8" Series 600, there's really no other option. Again, the fact your balance has a blue tip further corroborates that, since blue tips aren't used with Series 900 balances. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Hey Bob, can I get a phone number so that we can discuss on the phone. Still need the shoe info. Thanks. Charlie
Profile picture of Bob

Unfortunately I don't have a phone line from which to talk to customers. However, identifying the pivot shoe shouldn't prove too difficult. You will need to remove it from the window, send a picture, and give us its width and thickness. Those exact dimensions should point us to what you need. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.