Need a channel balance replacement

Home Owner from Jacksonville Florida
May 12, 2024 12:54 pm
Non tilt window, channel balance 30" length and 0.5" width. See attached photos for rio and shoe. Thank you
image image image image image
5 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 12, 2024 6:17 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting. I am confident we can help, but to be extra safe, can you show me a picture of where the spring and pulley system connect in the 'guts' of the metal channel? There's just one detail with your balance I want to be 100% certain of. Also, can you tell me the exact weight of the window sash that this channel balance supports? We should be able to square everything from there. Many thanks. 

Home Owner from Jacksonville Florida
May 12, 2024 6:51 pm
Thanks for the prompt answer. The window weights 33 lbs. hope the new photos are clearer.
Thank you
image image image image
4 user uploaded images
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 12, 2024 7:25 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

That's perfect, thanks. This looks like either an S380-30 or S385-30. The only difference between these two channel balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe. See the illustration below for reference. Measure the depth of your old balance's shoe to determine what meets best. 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

You then have to choose a stamp option, which represents the strength of the balance. Your old balance's stamp of 29-9 is from an outmoded rating system. For a window sash that weighs exactly 33 pounds, choose 2960, which denotes a 30" balance that can support a sash in the weight range of 32 through 35 pounds. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts