Need new channel balances

Quick Learner from Florida
Apr 28, 2024 5:23 pm
Hi there. I need some channel balances. The old ones are 39-4 and the window weighs about 40 lbs. which ones should I get. I need 1/2" with wings too. Thank you.
5 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 30, 2024 11:59 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I'm not sure what you have, unfortunately. There are dozens of different balances with that stamp. It's not a product code or anything, it just indicates the strength of the spring.

In order to figure out what Series this is, I need you to remove an undamaged version of this balance from the window and show me clear pictures of the top and bottom nylon fittings. I will also need to know the dimensions of these fittings.

May 2, 2024 12:37 pm
Hi there. The metal part of the balance is 35" long and a 1/2" wide. I attached some pictures. The window it came off of weights 40lbs.
IMG_0986 IMG_0985 IMG_0984 IMG_0983 IMG_0982
5 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 3, 2024 3:13 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you,

I apologize for the inconvenience, but we will need to see one more picture based on the style of balance that is shown. Can we see a picture of the inside of the metal channel where the spring and pulley system connect? From there we can determine the best fit. Thank you! 

May 3, 2024 6:17 pm
Here are the pics of the inside. I needed to know what size to order since the markings are outdated. Thanks
IMG_1001 IMG_0999
2 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 6, 2024 8:40 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you,

With this combination of attachments, you could have either an S380 or S385 channel balance. You’ll need to measure as shown below. The Series 380 has a 1" bottom attachment, and the Series 385 has a 1-3/32" attachment.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

For a 35" 40 pound sash, you would need a 3465 stamp option. I recommend making sure the weight is exactly 40 pounds as the weight ranges only differ by a few pounds. Please see the chart below and let me know if you have any additional questions. 

swisco
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts