Need to find replacement piece for Side-Load Single Hung Balance Spring

Landlord from California
Apr 1, 2013 5:17 pm
I need to replace my Side-Load Single Hung Balance Spring because the string broke. As shown in the picture it measures 22" and the metal piece is 10/16" wide. 20-4 CA2 CMC 7 is written on the left balance spring. The aluminum window frame had a logo that looked like a "MM" or "WW"
User submitted photos of a window balance.
7 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 2, 2013 2:14 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT
Thanks for posting! Before I can offer an applicable replacement for this channel balance, I just need to know a bit more information about the bottom attachment. Please take a look at our 15-004 and 15-005 channel balance shoes, and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-3/32" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely matches your own bottom attachment?
Landlord from CA
Apr 2, 2013 3:25 pm
it is 1-3/32" deep
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 3, 2013 9:54 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Great. If that's the case, then check out our Series 385 channel balance. You said that yours is 22", but I think you should double check that length. Usually balances with a stamp like 20-4 have a metal channel length of 21".
Landlord from CA
Apr 3, 2013 10:29 am
Thanks for your help - you're right, the metal piece measures 21". I just have one final question - I am unsure of which stamp option to choose, can you please help me with that?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 3, 2013 11:14 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Certainly! Usually a stamp like 20-4 corresponds to our 2040 option. However, you may want to weigh your window sash and make sure it falls under the weight rating shown for the 2040 just in case.
Home Owner from California
Jul 12, 2023 6:11 pm
When measuring the balance spring, do you measure from medal to medel? There's a 26 stamped on the balance spring, is the length? .
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 13, 2023 9:24 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Yes, when measuring the length of a channel balance you only measure the metal channel. You do not include the nylon fittings.

If your stamp starts with a "26" then odds are it's 27" long. The best way to verify this is to measure it. You never want to guess or estimate when it comes to balances, trust me.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts