Old wood window "spiral" type balances

Quick Learner from San Jose, Ca
Dec 22, 2023 4:07 pm
I am trying to find these old "spiral" style balances for 1950's wood windows.
They do not function like a spiral balance though. The square end push's in about ½" and you can wind it up and it will unwind.
It does not pull out.
Can you please let me know if you have ever seen something like this?

Thank you,
20231222_125300 20231222_125314 20231222_125326
3 user uploaded images
1 Replies
Paul from SWISCO
Dec 24, 2023 6:03 pm

Many thanks for posting. Your balance system is no longer used or available. However we have found our Series 500 Spiral Balance can work as a replacement. Below are generic directions for installing the Series 500. Let us know if you have further questions. 

First drop the Series 500-23 balance behind the sash and screw it at the top with the 33-016 screw. Raise the sash and have someone hold it up while you place the 17-012 bracket under the sash and have it corral the spiral. Screw the bracket to the sash. Continue holding up the sash while you bring the spiral up to the bracket. Now turn the spiral clockwise with the 75-005 tool about four turns. Then lock the bow tie at the end of the spiral to the 17-012 bracket. Do the same on the other side and try the sash. If it creeps down, give the spiral another turn.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts