PGT Window Balancers

Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 17, 2019 8:32 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Can you send us pictures of the top and bottom fittings on the balance to confirm what you have?

7 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you for the pictures. Based on what you sent me, I think you are better suited to order the S395 with the 2320 stamp. You were on the right track with the fitting identification, you just had the pieces reversed.

Take a look at this series balance and see if you agree. If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Quick Learner from Malabar,FL
Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am
Hi ,
I need 4 balancers and the Stamp on the current ones is 23-2. My question is do I order the 350 series 2320?
Apr 17, 2019 9:57 am
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Here are the photos you requested.

The window weighs about 10 lbs. Single Hung
IMG-3186 IMG-3187 IMG-3188
3 user uploaded images
Apr 17, 2019 10:26 am
Ok Thanks Mike...one more question before I order.

I ordered the s350 series on my last order and they worked fine in all of my other windows.

What is the difference with the s350 and s395 series.

Thanks,
Jim

Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 17, 2019 10:30 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

The main difference between those two Series is the combination of nylon fittings. The Series 350 comes with a 19-002 top and 15-004 bottom, while the Series 395 comes with a 19-005 top and 15-001 bottom.

Right away you'll note that the Series 350 has a non-winged top and a winged bottom, while the Series 395 is the opposite. The shoe for the Series 395 is also 1/32" deeper than on the Series 350.

Are these differences important? Sometimes. Can you ignore them for your window? Entirely possible. We typically recommend sticking with what you had installed originally to play it safe, but that doesn't mean you can kind of bend the rules.

For example, the wings I mention help stabilize a balance in a wider track, like yours. That way the balance doesn't wiggle side to side when you open and close the window. Can you put wings on the bottom fitting when you originally had wings on the top fitting? Sure, as long as there are no obstructions in the track that would bump into those bottom wings then it will work more or less the same way.

What about the shoe being more shallow? Will that come into play? Maybe. A 1/32" difference isn't going to be the end of the world, but as the balances are used over and over again through the years and start to wear down from friction, which is natural, you may notice that the sash is a hair wobbly. It will still function and you may not even notice, but it's something to keep in mind.

Long story short, if the Series 350 works fine then there's no reason you can't stick with it. We usually recommend sticking with the original style balance, but that's just us being safe. It's ultimately up to you.

Apr 17, 2019 11:49 am
Ok Thanks Mike. I'll try your suggestion and order the 395series
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 17, 2019 12:50 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Awesome, thank you! We appreciate your order. Please let us know how it works out or if you have any questions.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts