Patio door multi-point mortise lock with pocket plate (12")

Home Owner from Ankeny, Iowa
May 11, 2024 2:01 pm
I ordered a multi-point mortise lock replacement for my patio door, and I can confirm that it is the exact same lock as my former one (both have Patent #'s 5.264.252 and 5.820.170 engraved on them. The old lock was manufactured in Sep 2008, and the new one was manufactured in Jul 2021 (A1).

I have installed the new lock exactly as the old one was installed, and will the locking lever on the patio door handle will not engage the locking mechanism. The locking mechanism does move a bit, but it stops at a point and won't fully engage.

Our patio door does not have a key. So, I'm not sure why the locking mechanism only moves so far before stopping.
IMG_1881 IMG_1882 IMG_1883 IMG_1884 IMG_1885
5 user uploaded images
3 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 12, 2024 1:13 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of your trouble. I agree, your mortise lock looks like the one you purchased (our 82-260) and so it's not a matter of the incorrect part. If you try manually throwing the new mortise lock with a slotted screwdriver, does it fully engage? If not, then it's possible there's something wrong with the new lock we sent you, and we'll be sure to send you a new one. If the mortise lock engages just fine manually, however, then I'd like to see a closer photo of the tailpiece on your old thumb lever--perhaps it is damaged or warped. Many thanks. 

Home Owner from Ankeny, Iowa
May 13, 2024 11:15 am
Thanks for the quick response!

New development... I think I jumped too quickly on this question. I was trying to engage the lock when I hadn't shut the door, but when I fully shut the door, the lock did engage when I used the locking "lever" on the handle. So, the lock works.

However, now I have a new issue that may be easier to solve. Once I successfully locked the patio door, I had a hard time unlocking it with the lever. So, one of two things may be happening here.... (1) I may need to by a new handle (82-089?), or (2) I just need to use it enough to loosen it up a bit. Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 14, 2024 8:50 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I think the issue may still be with the mortise. Based on everything you've described so far, it sounds like a faulty spring. I definitely don't think it's the thumb lever; looking at your photos, I see no damage that would suggest that it's broken. 

It's easy enough to eliminate that as a possibility, anyway. Simply remove the handle from the door and flip the lever. If it moves without issue, then you can rule it out as a culprit. While you're at it, you should still try the screwdriver trick that I suggested above. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts