Pivot shoes that have completely worn out

Home Owner from New York
Apr 28, 2024 12:03 pm
I will be ordering replacement spiral balancers, but need to also replace the pivot shoes. Can you identify these (or suggest a suitable replacement for use with S900-28 balancers?
Pivot_Shoe_4 Pivot_Shoe_3 Pivot_Shoe_2 Pivot_Show_1
4 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Apr 30, 2024 12:05 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Your pivot shoe looks to be fairly old, but we may still have a match. Before I can suggest anything, though, I'll need measurements.

To start, please remove the shoe from the window and measure its width and thickness. Then, write them down and let me know what you get. I'd also like to see a photo of the shoe removed, while you have it out.

If possible, I'd also like to see the pivot bar. No need to remove it, I just need to see the tip. I want to ensure that any shoe we recommend will be compatible with it.

Home Owner from New York
May 4, 2024 12:26 pm
Thanks, Tom! One of the challenges I have is that I need the spreader tool to get the shoe out to provide full measurements. That said, I'm not averse to replacing the balance AND the shoe. We'll be using the 28" 900 series balance (picture of the tip of existing balance is attached).
IMG20240504122006
1 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 6, 2024 9:13 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

If you're only repairing one window, I wouldn't suggest getting the jamb spreading tool. That's a very expensive investment for a very quick project. It would be easier (and cheaper) to make a cutout in the jamb so that you can remove the shoe. That's only assuming that no such cutout exists to begin with, of course. Make sure to check under your sash stops just to be sure.

Making a cutout in the jamb to remove the shoe is very simple and would allow you to verify size before you buy anything. I'll share a video guide on how this is done, which you can see below. If you can't verify size, you're stuck with a lot of trial and error that will end up being more work in the end. Better to take the shoe out twice, to measure and replace, rather than multiple times due to erroneous purchases. You're not going to know for sure what shoe you need until you measure it.

Home Owner from New York
May 7, 2024 7:36 am
Thanks, tom! We are having similar problems with 7 windows in our home, but some of them may just need balance adjustment/replacement. I'll try the cutout method though...Thanks!
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 7, 2024 7:55 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

No problem! Please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts