Refurbish this Vetter Sliding door

A home owner from Blain, MN says:
Hi,

I am going to refurbish this sliding door in our house. The pictures you see are of a Vetter double sliding door in our home. Apparently Vetter window and door is out of business and I am going to need a variety of parts and weather stripping. I am hoping you can ID this door and help us with a couple of questions:

1. The handles in the door have been replaced but the replacements are not a good match so the locking mechanism doesn't work well. Do you have a set of handles that will work well with this door? We would like an exterior key lock, if possible.

2. The top of one door seems loose. I can't see a track for the top. Do you know what kind of mechanism holds it in place at the top?

Thank you for your help on this.

Sincerely,

Paul
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F77C3202-00B2-42A3-A815-345B09F1A645.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E1DCAD37-D603-4664-91E4-CECBB6680BB2.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I am going to answer you in the same numeric order you asked them in, to diminish confusion. 

1. I am not sure I understand your question. The handle set you have and the mortise lock are fully compatible with one another. If the mortise isn't working properly, it may be damaged or in need of a replacement. Try to remove the handle and manually throw the mortise with a screw driver. If after all of that you're still running into issues, try the 82-265

2. I can't say for certain. It sounds like you may need to adjust your bottom roller. Try that first to start and see if that helps.

Hi Tom,

1. I am sorry, I was unclear. I am not trying to replace the internal lock, I am trying to replace the Pulls. I would like the Pulls to have a key lock on the outside. I would like a nicer set of Pulls put on these doors.
2. Again, I was unclear. This slider has two doors. The one side slides nicely and feels more stable when I put pressure on it pushing from inside the home towards outdoors (and vice versa) The slider on the right seems to shift quite a bit at the top but not at the bottom. Both doors seem to ride at the same height in the track so I am wondering if there is a guide at the top of the top of the door that is damaged or worn.

Thanks again for your help on this.

Paul
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see. Thank you for clarifying.

Your old pull is a match for our 82-035. You could purchase this, as well as an 82-315 key lock to install on its outer pull. We also sell the 82-086, which is a different style, but it's important to note that the thumb lever is permanently fixed in the lower position. I can't tell if your thumb latch is in the lower or center position. If it's centered then our 82-086 will not work.

I can't say if your door has any guides in the top or not. That's not something we can really gauge from here, unfortunately. You'd have to examine the top of the door to see if anything in the frame is broken. If there is damage then we would have to see it.

Thanks for your help on this. I think I have the information I need. I will place an order and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Paul
Here is another item I need identified
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Weather Strip.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, thank you for placing your order! We appreciate it. 

I'm not sure about this weatherstripping. Can you tell me where on the door it mounts? Does it go on the sides or on the bottom?

This strip goes across the bottom of the whole door and acts as a seal on the inside of the sliding door. To clarify, it anchors in an aluminum track in the threshold and pushes against the side of the door as it slides on the track.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks again for waiting while we looked into this. I'm afraid that we weren't able to locate this weather stripping. I think your best bet is to see if you can get in touch with a supplier in your area who sold Vetter Patio doors. In 

the meantime, consider maybe our 58-181. This was a weatherseal used by Pella and may be a potential substitute, though I can't say for sure. Another possibility is our 58-056E. Sorry that we can't offer a better match!

Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this piece. It looks like part of the threshold. I think the only place you could get this would be the original manufacturer or suppliers of the door.

Hi, first of all, thank you for your help on the other items.

I have one more question. In the pictures posted here you will see a plastic piece that is about 2 inches high and 31 inches long. This piece acts as the foundation for the part of the sliding door that doesn't move. We believe we will need to replace this piece because it has become warped. Do you have anything similar to this or know anyone who would have a piece like this fore a Vetter patio door?

Thanks again for your help.

Paul
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2549.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2550.jpg
Yeah, I was thinking this would be a tough item to find. Based on what I can see, Vetter is out of business and I will maybe need to have this piece milled or cut out of wood. Again, thanks for your help.

Paul
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.