Reparing unidentified windows

Quick Learner from Chicago, IL
May 17, 2024 5:34 pm
Would like to repair windows in my daughter's condo.

The worst problem is that the pivot bars snapped where they screw to the sash. I removed the remaining part from the sash, but need help identifying a replacement pivot bar and understanding how to reinstall them.

Problem 2: The windows are very, very stiff going up and down. They use spiral balances. Are those easy to replace?

Problem 3: the top sash does not stay all the way up. Not as critical

Appreciate any help you can offer.
IMG_0157 IMG_0160 snapped pivot bars IMG_0361
4 user uploaded images
4 Replies
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 21, 2024 1:28 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm afraid your pivot bars are too damaged to identify. May we see a photo of an undamaged version removed from the window sash? We'll need to see a photo of the pivot shoe removed as well, along with the written-out thickness and width. 

As for the balance, see the 3/8" S900 or 9/16" S600 since this is a tilt window. You'll have to measure the diameter of the outer tube to determine the best match. In the meantime, we've related a couple of videos on this page that you may find helpful. 

Quick Learner from Chicago, IL
May 21, 2024 5:24 pm
I'm not near the house, but I did piece together the pivot bar, if that helps. Is it possible to identify based on this?
IMG_0708
1 user uploaded images
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 23, 2024 7:58 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you! This does help. I'm not immediately familiar with your pivot bar but I'm going to consult one of our senior experts. I will reach back out once we have more information! 

Paul
Paul from SWISCO
May 24, 2024 1:09 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

I believe your window sash is using the first hole, where the break is on the pivot bar. The distance is 1-1/8" and our 26-465 has a hole with that distance. Review the specifications and see what you think. 

Dimensions for 26-465
Dimensions for 26-465

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts