Replacement of Pivot Lock Shoe &/or Balance Spring

A quick learner from UK (England) says:

Dear Sir,

Both Pivot shoes on my slide & tilt sash window have broken and need replacing, which I decided I could manage myself.

However I have been unable to find a replacement to fit which will accept the existing Balance Spring. May be it would be easier (Perhaps preferable?) to replace both and I am hoping that you will be able to advise and supply suitable items!

I have attached photographs of the offending parts. I cannot find any marking other than those shown so I have no idea of the manufacturer.

I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

Brian 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

I haven't come across this set of hardware in my time in the window industry but we have some more seasoned experts that may have a better idea of what you need. We'd appreciate if you could give us a little time to research this and we'll get back to you with a more concrete answer. Thank you!

Hello Tom,

I did not realize my request would be so difficult to resolve!

As implied in my original post, I am quite happy to replace both the shoe and the balance spring if this is possible.

I await your further advice.

Regards.

Brian
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your continued patience during this busy season. I was the expert Tom mentioned before, and I've been having a hard time finding your balance. I think we may have to opt for a substitute but I'm just not sure what to go with.

The detail that will decide this is the pivot bar that goes into the shoe. Can you show me a picture of it? That will let us know what kind of shoe would be compatible with your window, and from there what balance. We'll work our way up.

Let me know whenever you can!

Hello Paul
Thank you for your helpful reply.
I am sorry to give you such a hard time with my problem, but I do very much appreciate your help.

As requested, I am attaching two photographs of the pivot bars which are attached to the bottom of the sash.

I also weighed the sash while it was out and for your information it weighed just 13 kilos.

I hope the above is helpful and I await your reply.

Many thanks

Brian
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot bar 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot bar 2.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this. I believe you can use our S600-24 spiral balance with a blue tip color option. That should be the right size and strength for your window.

As for the pivot bar, this appears to be an exclusive part from the window manufacturer and isn't available on the market. We have the 26-415, however, which I think will work with your old pivot shoe. If you need to replace the shoe, too, then you could potentially use our 15-188. Look these parts over and let me know what you think.

Finally, I personally suggest our 75-006 charging tool. This will make installing the balance a whole lot easier than trying to do it by hand.

Hello Paul.

Many thanks for your latest reply, I think we are getting there!

I should remind you that my original problem was the broken pivot shoes, which must be replaced but, as it seems it is not possible to get a shoe that will accept my existing springs, I am happy to also replace these and I accept your recommendation.

Regarding the shoes you suggest (15-188), these seem fine except that the braking appears to operate to the sides instead of the back, does this matter?

Finally, is it necessary to replace the pivot bars as the existing ones look as though they would fit your suggested
shoes and replacing them could be difficult?

I await your reply and meanwhile appreciate your help.

Regards.
Brian
Profile picture of Paul

As long as you replace your original balance with our S600-24, then our 15-188 should work well as a replacement pivot shoe. Where the breaks extend doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure if your old pivot bars can work with the 15-188. They might, but if they end up not being compatible then you always have the 26-415 as a fall-back option.

Dear Paul,

I did reply to your last post dated 9th September but, from this end, it appears that it was not sent, so I will try again!

What I tried to say was to thank you for your help and advice and, assuming there is no problem with shipping to my address in the UK, I would like to order all the parts that you recommended, as follows:-

2 x S600-24 Balance Springs (with Blue tip)
2 x 15-188 Pivot Shoes
2 x 26-415 Pivot Bars
1 x 75-006 Charging Tool

When replying, can you please confirm the total cost of these items, including shipping and any duties payable.

Kind regards,
Brian
Profile picture of Paul

Hello! All pricing for each part can be found on their respective store pages. Shipping is also calculated for you during the checkout process; I can't do it for you here since we have a few different options. It'll depend on what you select.

All orders can be placed directly on our site whenever you wish.

Hello Paul

Thanks again for your help and advice.

I am on holiday now but I will place my order on my return after the 10th October. And let you know how I get on.

Kind regards.
Brian
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you very much! We appreciate it. Please let us know how it works out, or if you have any questions.

Hello Paul

Thanks again for your help and advice.

I have now placed an order for the parts you recommended and, when I receive them, I will let you know how I get on with the fitting!

Kind regards

Brian

Hello Paul,
Just to let you know that I received the my order on Monday 4th November and have now completed the fitting.
Apart from minor alterations I had to make to the existing Pivot Bars to make them fit the new Shoes, all went well and I am happy with the result!

Once again, many thanks for your help and advice.

Best regards

Brian
Profile picture of Paul

That's fantastic news! We appreciate the update, Brian. Please let us know if you ever need anything else. We'll always do our best to help.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.