Replacing Channel Balances

Handy Person from Mountain View, CA
Oct 29, 2023 9:35 pm
Hi, I'm hoping to get help identifying the appropriate replacement channel balances for two windows. I've attached a set of photos of one of the channel balances. As seen in the photos, there is a stamp on it, 2740. I measured the length at 28".

I will need four identical channel balances in all as well as four replacement takeout clips and four new 2 1/4" sweep locks. Hopefully I'll be able to get them all in one order! Thank you for our help and please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

Best
Adam
IMG_2910 IMG_2913 IMG_2914 IMG_2915 IMG_2916
5 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Oct 29, 2023 11:48 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting. See our S380-28 or S385-28. The only difference between these two balances is the depth of the bottom shoe, or its measurement from heel to toe. See the diagram below to understand what I mean. Compare both with your old balance to see what matches best. In either case for a new stamp option choose 2740.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

For new take-out clips, see if the 16-002 matches what you need. For the sweep lock, please send photos and also tell me the hole spacing, or the distance between the center of both mounting holes, and we'll do our best to find a match for you.

Oct 31, 2023 12:27 am
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick response. The bottom shoe depth is 1". I've attached photos of the sweep lock. The distance between the screw hole centers is 2 1/4"
IMG-2923 IMG-2924
2 user uploaded images
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Oct 31, 2023 9:08 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you! With a 1" shoe depth, that would make your balance the Series 380.

As for the lock, we unfortunately don't have this exact style. One part that's very similar is our 90-075. This has an extended locking tab, which appears to be the same situation in your case. Ours sticks out by 1/2", so you should measure yours to verify if it's the same. If not, let me know and I can try to find a better option.

The 90-075 is also not available in white, I'm afraid.

Dimensions for 90-075
Dimensions for 90-075

Oct 31, 2023 9:38 pm
Hi Bob,

The lock length on ours is also 1/2".

Looking through the catalog, it looked like the 90-005 looks pretty similar. Any insight on your end on whether this might fit our needs?

-Adam
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Nov 1, 2023 8:58 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

The problem here is that the lock tab is much, much smaller than on the 90-075. If your lock tab is 1/2" then the 90-005 will fall short and won't engage with the receiver. In other words, it won't lock.

Nov 1, 2023 12:12 pm
Got it - I didn't appreciate how much shorter the lock tab was. Thanks for the help, and I think I can go ahead and place the order for the parts I need now.
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
Nov 1, 2023 12:33 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Great! Thanks for the order, and please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts