Searching for American Craftsman 6' Slidding door wheels

A quick learner says:
Hello Swisco, I will be ordering American Craftsman parts for my windows and door slider 6' can You tell me the correct slidder wheels forthe 6' American Craftsman Slidders?
I will be ordering also American Craftsman Double hung parts Pivot pins, Coil Balance Springs 16.7lbs window weight and Tilt latches
Advise me what you can thank you
Terry
No photo of slidder standard 6' slidder.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230507_072926.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230507_072931.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230507_073041.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230507_073049.jpg
A handy person from Caribbean says:
Also the felt style channel seal around window how does this come sold? in long lengths and to be cut to size, as well as pricing/
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Your coil balance resembles our 15-087 housing pivot, which uses the Series 180 coil springs, 15-086 housing, and 16-024 bracket. I would recommend removing your assembly from the window to confirm that the specifications shown on our product pages match up to yours. If you need replacement pivot bars, we would need to see an undamaged version of your part uninstalled to compare to our inventory. 

As for the tilt latches, take a look and compare the dimensions of the 26-408 shown below to yours. We also offer the 26-122 vent latch, which we will include below as well. 

We do carry a selection of wool pile, which you can view here. Please note that most of our replacement options come in precut lengths of 25'. Pricing can be found on each of our product pages. Thank you! 

Alternate image for 26-408
Alternate image for 26-408

Alternate view of 26-408
Alternate view of 26-408

Alternate view of 26-408
Alternate view of 26-408

Alternate image for 26-122
Alternate image for 26-122

Side view of 26-122
Side view of 26-122

Diagram of 26-122
Diagram of 26-122

Hello Casey, thank you for the response. Trying to get a photo of the pins you asked for, and thisresulted in my discovering that the parts I first sent to you and you responded too, were of a newer two windows of 14 years old only! I just realized when I looked at trying to get a photo of Pivot pins, that you asked for. I am now sending 5 photos of the other windows that need parts as well can you determine what I will need and if they are repairable ? as they seem to have a twisted bar type spring rod? and not a coil spring? as they are all rusted and I do not think I can get a Pivot pin that has a pin still visible and not rusted..
the pivot pin photo you wanted isit criticle if you have the correct receiver in the window channel?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230509_105300.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230509_105306.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230509_105356.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230509_105404.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230509_105455.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

No problem. The assembly shown in your new photos is called a spiral balance. You can start by comparing the S900 and S600 to your part, depending on if the diameter of the tube is 3/8" or 5/8". If you need new pivot shoes that the end of the spiral connects to, we would need to see yours uninstalled and have you write out the exact width and thickness to compare to our inventory. We would also need you to write out the distance between the installation hole centers of your tilt latch to determine what could work as a replacement. 

As for your pivot bar, see our video below to help you remove one to determine the style and dimensions needed for your replacement. 

Casey,
Thank you again, I will have to get the measurments for you and will have to look for a pivot bar that still exists? we are by the sea and the salt has just about corroded everyone of them so if I can find one and the screw can be removed and the pivot bar comes out great? if not I'll get the measurments of the distance from the windows edge and the scew hole, as well as the depth of the pivot shoe. the shape of the pin will be the same as the replacemnt shoe requires. will this work for me to get the correct parts . You are very helpful. Terry
Profile picture of Casey

That sounds like a plan. We can't make any guarantees without seeing an intact pivot bar but if we can get the dimensions and installation hole placements needed and confirm the pivot shoe that your window uses, that will help us narrow down your options considerably. 

Casey,
I am attaching two pages of photos with remarks.. hopefully you can determine what are the part numbers for the parts I need . once I getto see the parts and confirm them I will tell you how many more I will be needing that spiral spring tool (1).
Profile picture of Casey

Great, take a look at either the 3/8" diameter S900-19 or 5/8" diameter S600-19 spiral balances depending on the size of your housing tube. As for your pivot shoe, yours reminds me of the 15-046, which measures 1/2" thick. If you're sure that yours measures exactly 9/16", we also offer the 15-118. Also, see the 26-089 pivot bar with the same 1-1/2" backset that you're looking for. 

We would also need you to write out the distance between the installation hole centers of your surface-mounted tilt latch to compare to our selection here. Please note that we do not carry replacement balance covers but a local hardware store may be able to supply them. The rest of the hardware shown in your photos appears to match the parts that we previously discussed as long as the specifications shown on our product pages match up to yours.

Alternate image for 26-089

Ok getting much better asto why this is so difficult, we also remember the major number of windows installed here was in
1998 and we believe the American Craftsman windows were series 8500 if this helps..
I can see needing and still counting howmany of each of the followin
26-408 (2 Sets)
15-087 - (8 pcs)
16-024 - (2)
One Spiral Tool - ?
Pivot Pin Shoes - 15-118 ( 24 Pcs ) main problem and pins do you have S/S Pins?
2 Sets o 6' Slidder wheels American Craftsman
Pivot Pins 26-089 - (24 ) will double check as all windows may have this same Pin?
Will need the 8500 Surface latches at least (6)
and lastly the spiral tension bars S600-19 not sure as the ones I took apart seem OK it was only the plastic pivot shoes that are bad but will check further on this as some windows are larger then the one I looked at and may need the blue Spirals?
greatly appreaciate all this help to get it right the first time ...
What is best way to calculate the window seal felt ?
Profile picture of Casey

It sounds like you're close to being ready to place your order. See the 75-006 charging too for tilt window spiral balances. 

Could you elaborate on what you mean by S/S pins? If this is a new part that you need, we would need to see photos of those as well. 

We would also need to see the patio door wheels that you mentioned removed from the frame, as well as written-out dimensions including the housing height, width and wheel diameter. 

As for your surface-mounted tilt latches, we would still need you to write out the distance between the installation hole centers to compare to our inventory. 

If you need wool pile weatherstripping for your windows as well, our selection can be found here. You would need to remove a sample of yours to compare the backing width and pile height to our replacements. 

Questions;
Are the pivot bars for the top or upper windows different then the bottom pivot bars ? on double hung. The windows never come down and I hate to disturbe them...
also I do not see the coil spring housings on my original windows or pieces of the housings ? Is this the way it is assembled now? as we had the foot with one inside and two more coils above the foot the coils seemed to be just in the track not inside a housing? the windows weighed 16.7 lbs please let me know if I should order them too
Profile picture of Casey

The top and bottom sashes generally use the same type of pivot bar but I would still recommend checking to be sure. Also, the coils should use a housing like the 15-086 but it may have broken over time. With that being said, you would only need to use one S180-8 on each side to support your sash weight, which would not require an additional housing since the coil would install inside the 15-087 housing pivot. 

Casey, I see the 8lb coils handle the 16.7 lb window with lift on both sides..I see avideo of a triple coil attachment but not a single coil where does this single coil get attached to or secured too for it to have tension the 16-024 bracket is a flat piece of metal and I dont see howthe spring can attach to it? is there a video ?
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, we do not have a video for this exact assembly but see the diagram below. The coil would install inside of the 15-087 housing pivot and reach up to hook onto the 16-06 mounting bracket. Since you would only need one coil on each side, you can disregard the 15-086 tandem housing shown in the image. 

Series 180 coil balance diagram
Series 180 coil balance diagram

Casey,

yes I see how it assembles now one would think the Mounting Bracket 16-024 would be much fatter or more rasied offset to hold the housing 15-087 as this bracket sits very flush to the channel. Does this coil get attached to the top hook of the mounting bracket as well?
Hello Casey,
I would like to make an order...I am sure another will follow after I get to start repairs.
How does Front load Bubble seal sold in lenghts? 1/4"
Photo of existing pins, I think it is 26-089 but mine show a white plastic piece attached? see photo?
Question the 26-040 26 -089 are these the same ? if they are the same I need 18 pins ? I put both numbers ? to order ?

Terry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named LR pivot  3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named LR pivot  2.jpg
I checked the bubble sash seal I see it is 12' lengths I'll need (2) lengths to start
one more thing do the pivot bars come with their own screws ? if not send the screws as well please.

Terry
Profile picture of Casey

You are correct that the coil spring would attach to the top and bottom hooks of the 16-024 bracket, which will be held in place once you install the installation screw as shown in our diagram. 

As for the pivot bar, they do not come with screws as stated on our product page but the 26-089 is generally installed with machine screws like the 33-096. I'll include the dimensions from the 26-040 and 26-089 product pages below that demonstrate the differences. As long as one installation hole matches the backset of your part, you should be good to go. 

Once you've confirmed the correct replacement parts, you are welcome to place an order directly on our product page or you can give our customer service team a call at (888) 991-1929.

Alternate image for 26-040
Alternate image for 26-040

A quick learner says:
So this bracket just hooks to the springs two holes first, then bracket is screwed tight to the window frame it seems not a good engineering attachment ?

I am sending a few photos here ,
on the inserting of these replacement pins I have an issue
the plastic housing you will seein the photo is the old plastice housing that the rusted old pin was in...
when I insert the new pin the plastic housing this plastic part has a stop or plastic wall not letting the pin all the way back? so the pin protrudes to far out..now there is a line on the new pivot pin is this a cut off line? to make this pivot pin work? or should I cut the plastic wall and let the pin just fit letting it slide back and maybe the screw aligns correctly ?
I have two styles of pins from your company they are shown with this plastic part that was removed from the windows
what is your opinion

the pin with the three holes is not threaded as I can see
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image (4).png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image (2).png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image (5).png
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

You are correct that the coil spring hooks to the top bracket, which is screwed near the top of the window jamb. This is a unique design compared to most types of coil balances but it functions just as well in our experience. 

Unfortunately, we do not carry the housing shown in your photo but I would recommend taking a look at the 2-1/2" long 26-083 pivot bar, which would install using the 33-074 self-tapping screw. Since it is shorter than the other pivot bars you tried, hopefully, it will extend the appropriate amount to engage with the pivot shoe. Review the specifications below and see what you think.

Detail of 26-083
Detail of 26-083

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing and installing flush mount tilt latches
Removing and installing flush mount tilt latches
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Vent Latch
How to Replace a Window Vent Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.