Searching for Balance springs fo heavy sash windows

A quick learner says:
Do you sell sash window balance springs for heavier windows retrofitted with stained glass, lead and glass windows?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can supply balances that are rated for heavier windows, but stained glass admittedly might be pushing the limits of what we can do.

Before we say anything for sure, I'd like to review exactly what we're dealing with. Would it be possible to get the exact weight of the sash? Can you also show me some photos of the balance itself? At this stage I am not yet certain if we even have a configuration that's compatible with this window, even ignoring weight capacity.

Once I have a better idea of what kind of system you need I will be able to tell you for sure if we can help.

A quick learner from CA says:
Thanks for reply
Window weighs 30 lb.
Window frame height is 26 3/4"
Channel is 26"
Old spring balance is 24" I believe it is rated for 30 lb.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4ADFD3F7-5D98-4E17-B051-21D2BFEA2A2C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 22A245D5-96A9-4F0A-B909-9E3D7B585EC5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 03B2BF0F-8E8A-4307-8CC5-1B9C88AB7E91.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 73230263-BF9D-4325-AEF4-0E40690F4780.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C845B65E-E9BA-4A04-B098-A9F47CA632A9.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you so much! This is a huge help. Based on the information I see here, you should be able to get one of our standard balances to work without issue. 30 pounds is definitely on the heavy side but it's still a common enough sash weight.

Let's talk about the length, first. You said that your original balance is 24" long, but that your channel length is 26". Can you confirm what size you need, exactly? Changing the original glass out with stained glass shouldn't have affected the length of the balance itself. You should still be using a 24" version. I'd like to be 100% sure what size that is before we proceed.

Next, I want to discuss the Series; this is determined by the combination of nylon fittings. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities: either our Series 380 or Series 385. The only difference between them is the depth of the bottom shoe. Granted, this is a very slight difference, but it is still important. I recommend reviewing the diagram below to confirm the better option.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Lastly, we need to look at the most important detail out of all of them: the spring calibration. This will be different depending on length, but you have a few options available to you.

Looking at the 24" balance, you would pick either our 2360 option (27 through 30 pounds) or the 2365 option (30 through 34 pounds). Assuming that your balance is exactly 30 pounds then theoretically either stamp would work. You may want to triple check just to be sure. It helps to get the weight down to the ounce so that you can pick accordingly.

Looking at the 26" long balance, you could use either our 2560 stamp (28 through 30 pounds) or 2565 option (30 through 33 pounds). Same rules apply here, though I highly recommend checking the length of the metal channel to ensure what size you need.

A quick learner from CA says:
Thank you
The old spring (metal part) is 24" dead on.
The window frame top to bottom is 26 3/4" on the outside.
There is a channel on the bottom of the frame like the channel on the side, so measuring the frame height from the bottom channel gets me 26".
The window never opened fully, leaving a few inches at the top. I don't know if this has anything to do with the balance length?

The bottom shoe measures ~1 3/32" (25-26 mm.)
The width at the ears is 29-30/32" (24mm).

Can't do much better with the weight.
Our bathroom scale is digital with 1 lb increments. I took my weight, then I took my weight holding the window and subtracted giving me ~ 30lbs.
The twin adjacent window still open closes easily but needs to be held open with a 3/4" stick as did the broken side.
So I guess the heavier rated balance might be a better guess?
Thanks for your help, you've been great!
Allan
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like you want to stick with the 24" length, then. Don't worry about the size of the track it goes into. As for the window not opening all the way, that is also normal. You don't want the window to open up those last few inches in most situations.

It also sounds like the Series 385 is the best pick, so the S385-24 is my official recommendation.

Concerning weight, it's ultimately up to you. Just note that it is possible to have a balance that is too strong; if the spring it over-calibrated then you will have trouble closing the window, and it could drift up on its own. At this stage you will just have to use your best judgment. Since the sash definitely seems to weigh around 30 pounds then the 2360 or 2365 is going to be what you want to pick from. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.